Working on 2.0: Developer sprint

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
onli
Regular

Re: Working on 2.0: Developer sprint

Post by onli »

Did you save those marks? ;)
I see you just did.

We could talk about adding the spambee-plugin to the included plugins.
blog.brockha.us
Regular

Post by blog.brockha.us »

Right, I didn't save it. I did it now. :)

About SpamBee: Oh no, not that discussion again.. :roll: You already know my opinion about that: If you like to have it included, feel free to do so, the code is there and it is not that hard to do. But I'm out of that plugin then.
- Grischa Brockhaus - http://blog.brockha.us
- Want to make me happy? http://wishes.brockha.us/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

That is not what I meant. You know we include some plugins when delivering serendipity as release. To consolidate this selection is on the todo-list for 2.0, including the honeypot could be an option :)
blog.brockha.us
Regular

Post by blog.brockha.us »

Ah, oh sorry, I really misunderstood then.

Well yes: I think it would be cool to have Bee and Bayes included perhaps. They are the most effective and most local antispam mechanisms. And yes, this topic could be on the agenda then, too.
- Grischa Brockhaus - http://blog.brockha.us
- Want to make me happy? http://wishes.brockha.us/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

As the november approaches, I'd like to state that Sunday, 18.11, is the currently choosen date.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

onli wrote:As the november approaches, I'd like to state that Sunday, 18.11, is the currently choosen date.
Meanwhile I sadly had to take appointments for that date (I had my birthday last weekend, and my father asked me for a weekend's visit, which is now planned for 17th/18th). We might want to take a new poll and have a fixed deadline within one day to fix on a date, otherwise I (and surely others) need to proceed on my scheduling...?

Of course another option is for me to only join in at the end of the day for a few hours, I don't need everyone to rely on my availibility :-)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

It would be of course way better to have you with us, and be it only to be able to talk with more decisive power over more things. But the next possible date for all of us would be the first of december. Given that we probably wanted to start anyway on the late afternoon (so don can take part and we have some sunday prior ;-)), I would be fine with you arriving later. We could easily try to work on the backend before and trying to get some orientation.
We might want to take a new poll and have a fixed deadline within one day to fix on a date, otherwise I (and surely others) need to proceed on my scheduling...?
I am afraid I don't get that sentence :/
A poll of one day without that 18. as an option?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

What time of day?
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

We could also just move it to the first weekend of december, which seems to be the second best date for everyone.

Also, there's the question how to organise this thing. Do we set a time and duration? If so, we'd need to choose it so it suits the time difference for Don.

Maybe it's an even better idea to make this sort of a series of (shorter) sprints. Judging from my podcasting experiences, 2 hours usually is the time when everyone loses their ability to concentrate and comprehend. We might also want to think about whether it makes sense to build teams to address specific issues. Then again, I don't think we have enough people for that. :)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I would like to suggest a brief trial run... just to make sure we can all connect.
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

yellowled wrote:We could also just move it to the first weekend of december, which seems to be the second best date for everyone.
We could. But the earlier we try this, the earlier we see if we want to repeat this and if some work kicks off because of this, so we have more time afterwards. It is not so bad if someone can't show up, it's enough if enough of use are there to do something from the agenda.
yellowled wrote:Also, there's the question how to organise this thing. Do we set a time and duration? If so, we'd need to choose it so it suits the time difference for Don.
We set a time. Given the time-difference, probably something like 17 pm CET? For the duration we'll have to see how it turns out.
yellowled wrote:Maybe it's an even better idea to make this sort of a series of (shorter) sprints. Judging from my podcasting experiences, 2 hours usually is the time when everyone loses their ability to concentrate and comprehend. We might also want to think about whether it makes sense to build teams to address specific issues. Then again, I don't think we have enough people for that. :)
It's buildung something, isn't it? In the best case scenario, we may use this meeting to talk for example about the backend. You show how you want it to look like and how it should behave. We talk about it and maybe enhance it. And then, hopefully, some of us find joy in building that thing and we start working together. Maybe together in a shared editor, maybe splitting the workload, maybe creating a plan together.

I think it would be successful if i find myself coding that evening with a comrade and a new outlook on 2.0 (and if the same applies to the rest of us).
Don Chambers wrote:I would like to suggest a brief trial run... just to make sure we can all connect.
That shouldn't be an issue. Garvin, may we use your mumble-server? If Garvin sends us the ip, each of us could try whenever he wants to connect and test if it works. The real trial run could be the sprint itself, as it itself is a trial ;)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:Given the time-difference, probably something like 17 pm CET?
There is no 17 pm, you probably mean 5 pm (17:00). :) That would be 10 am for Don.

I still don't see the rush to do this asap at the risk of not everyone being able to join, 11/2 seems early enough for me and works fine for way more people.

YL
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

yellowled wrote:
onli wrote:Given the time-difference, probably something like 17 pm CET?
There is no 17 pm, you probably mean 5 pm (17:00). :) That would be 10 am for Don.

I still don't see the rush to do this asap at the risk of not everyone being able to join, 11/2 seems early enough for me and works fine for way more people.

YL
Whatever you mean by 11/2 ... :wink:

5pm on a Sunday seems pretty late to me, but given the timezone issue .. ok. It depends on what we want to achieve IMHO. If we say, 2h is enough, then we'd better make sure we pick a task that can be finished within this time.

I consider it important that we define our task beforehand, the more precisely the better, and that we use some kind of online tool to permanently put down tasks, issues, notes etc. Mumble or IRC for real time communication is fine, but I think it will be mighty helpful if everyone already knew what to work on during the sprint. Maybe not down to the actual class in the code, but more the common goal we want to reach. Break it down a little bit more into small sub-tasks.

(I'm still not sure about what exactly needs to be done)

Personally, I'd prefer Dec 2, too. No need to rush anything, it's not as if we had to meet a deadline on christmas or sth. :) OTOH I do understand that some of us are pretty anxious to get this off the ground (which is good!!)

PS: Grischa and I have been playing around with https://trello.com/ lately, which is a neat little project planning/white board/collaborative task management tool. So far, I've only used it for some small personal projects, but I think we *could* use this for collaboration during the sprint. Of course, there are gazillions of similar tools, so ...
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

mattsches wrote:5pm on a Sunday seems pretty late to me, but given the timezone issue .. ok.
Might be too early in the day for Don, as well. :wink: (We'll never find a time of day which is perfect for both timezones, I guess.)
mattsches wrote:I consider it important that we define our task beforehand, the more precisely the better, and that we use some kind of online tool to permanently put down tasks, issues, notes etc.
In general, I agree. Trello sounds like a possible solution for notes etc, by the way. I have only taken a short look at it a while ago, but it might work. Then again, for the first instance of the developer sprint, we might need to discuss on a more general level, not that task-oriented (yet).

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Hey guys - I don't want to be a problem, especially if I am the only US participant. Decide what works best for you. Besides, I am not even a "coder"... I know only enough to be dangerous! :wink:
=Don=