Verify Inegrity feature changed?

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Stosh
Regular

Verify Inegrity feature changed?

Post by Stosh »

Hello.

I've made a lot of small changes and edits to my blog, including some code-bits. On the last upgrade, the "Verify Integrity" feature was very handy for showing me which of the old php files would need to be restored or re-edited after the upgrade.

This time around, even though those altered files are in there, the verify feature tells me all files are fine.

Any ideas?

-s
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Verify Inegrity feature changed?

Post by Timbalu »

First.
Verify Integrity does only work with stable, released S9y versions.

Second, to clear what might have happened.
Did you have an old S9y version (btw, which one?), hacked some code in core files, knew this by 'Integrity check' (btw, give us an example name of changed files, please), make an upgrade to latest S9y version and checked again?

Yes, then all files which where changed by yourself are obviously gone and replaces with the upgrade files, if that is the way you did proceed. The delivered checksum file does include - beside of the core files - only a few template files and dirs, as default, bulletproof, and some more, but only the ones, which could be (historical) relevant in behaviour with core.

With the knowledge of the old 'Integrity check', you re-edited the new core files with your hacks afterwards, saved and then the 'Integrity check' told you, all files passed the check with OK? I can't really believe that...

So the question is, where are those "altered files" by yourself - "in there" (where? the core? the checksum file? or?)...? Did the upgrade, update the checksum.inc.php file in S9y-root too?
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Stosh
Regular

Post by Stosh »

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply.

I did this a while ago to get a list of "hacked" files prior to upgrading to 1.5.5 (lite).

After the install, I used the list of paths and files to replace or modify the ones that had hacks.

This includes the categories plugin, which includes a way to hide lower-level (farther down in the tree) categories, for example.

This still seems to work

It also included some code for next/last in the entries template.

I assumed, when I added these hacked files back in, that they would cause the integrity check to fail again. I don't remember if I actually did the integrity check after adding them back in though.

Another example: I added a CSS reference in the preview iframe that included my document conventions. Because of this, the iframe preview template failed the test prior to the upgrade, but testing the upgraded blog today shows everything is hunky-dory. I know my document conventions are still in that iframe template, because I see them when doing a preview of an entry.

It isn't that big a deal. I'm not even sure I need these to do a straight move (my immediate project is to move the blog to a new provider). I was just wondering if something had changed.

btw, Garvin has a login to this blog, so if you're having trouble believing me (a mere user :D ) you can certainly ask him to verify this for you.

-s
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Stosh wrote:This includes the categories plugin, which includes a way to hide lower-level (farther down in the tree) categories, for example. ... This still seems to work
That plugin isn't part of core and the checksum array, so this can't be verified, IMHO.
Stosh wrote:It also included some code for next/last in the entries template.
Well, like I tried to say..., is that template and the files changed in the checksum file?
Stosh wrote: I added a CSS reference in the preview iframe that included my document conventions. Because of this, the iframe preview template failed the test prior to the upgrade, but testing the upgraded blog today shows everything is hunky-dory. I know my document conventions are still in that iframe template, because I see them when doing a preview of an entry.
Where does the preview.tpl reside? Is it in the checksum file array too? If you can see something, it does not say you really get the last change, especially in preview iframe modes. To really test this, you definitely need to clear templates_c before.

You might also check, if 1.5.5 (lite) comes with a very 'lite' checksum file, compared with the one you had before.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Stosh
Regular

Post by Stosh »

Timbalu,

Ah!

That last line is starting to make things clearer. Thanks.

Yes. All these files came up in the earlier verify and it is how I was able to know which ones I had changed and where they were. The path info was especially helpful for things like the preview frame template. As I recall it was in a strange spot.

I still have the old cut & pasted list somewhere. Hang on...

"templates/default/preview_iframe.tpl corrupt or modified: failed verification"

Not sure why I used the lite version. Was that the recommendation for doing an upgrade?

-s
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Stosh wrote:... lite version. Was that the recommendation for doing an upgrade?
By whom?
No, I don't think it is the recommended one, as you can discover things like this to happen. Its just a more purged version against the full one (which is the recommended btw) ... but, I think it also should include the templates/default/* .
But in real you are using a different template, I assume. Does it have that file? You might also check default/preview_iframe.tpl and bulletproof/preview_iframe.tpl, both some sort of fallback template files if the core is searching for one (first bp, last default) and maybe the 2k11/preview_iframe.tpl. (I personally do not know more templates than these three.)

There also is this "serendipity_editor.js" file changing preview_iframe.tpl output...
Regards,
Ian