Spartacus: deprecated plugins

Creating and modifying plugins.
yellowled
Regular

Spartacus: deprecated plugins

Post by yellowled »

Here's an idea for the Spartacus plugin: Does Spartacus "know" the s9y version a blog is running on? If so, we could maybe introduce deprecated plugins.

There are some plugins, whose features have been implemented in the s9y core or have become obsolete for other reasons. Likely candidates at the time of writing this would be the advanced config types Timbalu mentioned or the jQuery plugin. At the same time, there might be people still using older s9y versions which actually need those plugins. The Spartacus plugin could just skip those in newer versions.

YL
ju
Regular

Re: Spartacus: deprecated plugins

Post by ju »

related question: is there a list of deprecated plugins that should only be used, when there is a *real* reason for using them?

I'm just listening to the podcast and heard that the browser compatibility-plugin is deprecated, but I have no idea which other plugins are outdated or not necessary any more.

//edit: Only corrected some typos. (Guess I should not listen and type at the same time :mrgreen: )
Last edited by ju on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

There isn't really a list, but there shouldn't be that many "deprecated" plugins. The only ones that come to my mind are:

- serendipity_event_browsercompatibility
- serendipity_event_adv_config
- serendipity_event_jquery (when using s9y 1.6+)

However none of these plugins would really cause a real(*) problem on an installation.

(*) real problems are not IE6-CSS-rendering problems ;)

HTH,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
ju
Regular

Post by ju »

Thank you Garvin!

@ real problems: I meant it the other way round: There may have been a reason to install some plugin years ago. If the context has changed (e.g. IE 6.0 users << 1 percent) it is not necessary any longer and should be uninstalled just like any other unnecessary stuff. But if somebody is running a blog about historic hardware and software he or she may have more visitors still using IE 6.0 (or even IE 5.0 and earlier or Netscape 4.5 ...) and have a good reason to keep the plugin.

When I looked around in my installations folders I also noticed that there are plugins in the plugin-folder that are not installed according to the "Configure Plugins" page in the administration area. Maybe a remnant from my pre-spartacus times?