Brainstorming: More Themes for Serendipity

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
laemmy
Regular

Brainstorming: More Themes for Serendipity

Post by laemmy »

What can we do to get more available Themes (free premium) for Serendipity. Please post your ideas in this thread.

Maybe a theme contest can bring some new themes to the community?
Some s9y projects
yellowled
Regular

Re: Brainstorming: More Themes for Serendipity

Post by yellowled »

laemmy wrote:What can we do to get more available Themes (free premium) for Serendipity.
First of all, let's please not adapt bullshit buzzwords from the WP world like "free premium". A theme is either free or commercial, at least that's my point of view. :)

There's exactly one solution to get more available themes – get more people to do themes, preferably for free. The most "productive" phase of s9y theme development was when more people had the time and energy to produce themes – back in the day when Carl and David were still rather active.

Anyone can become a skilled s9y theme developer. It's not rocket science. I'm happy to give pointers or answer questions here, but basically, all you need is out there – HTML, CSS, maybe JS and some Smarty, very possibly some PHP. You don't even need to be a designer, you can port free HTML themes or WP themes (although I'd recommend starting with adapting existing s9y themes).

If there's another (realistic) way to get more themes for s9y, I don't see it.

YL
laemmy
Regular

Post by laemmy »

Sorry, the slash was missing. I mean free and premium (or like you said commercial) themes.
yellowled wrote:There's exactly one solution to get more available themes – get more people to do themes, preferably for free. The most "productive" phase of s9y theme development was when more people had the time and energy to produce themes – back in the day when Carl and David were still rather active..
Right. But how can we reach that goal? What can we do today?
Some s9y projects
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

laemmy wrote:But how can we reach that goal? What can we do today?
With regards to what purpose? Get more themes? Just start creating some. :)

YL