Football (soccer) Tributes

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
kickoff3pm
Regular

Football (soccer) Tributes

Post by kickoff3pm »

Just finishing of a football(soccer) tribute site.

Mostly used right out the box plugins as I'm no coder but I would love any ideas on what else I could do/include to improve it. Also looking for a calender plugin which will allow me to enter years events repeating events so I can show a monthly list of these - ie. The day G. Best Died, the day G.Best made his debut etc etc.

Current url - http://www.footballtributes.co.uk/dev/

Keen to hear what you guys think, as I only found s9y a few days ago I not upto speed on what's available and how to customise. Feel free to play around with the site.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

If you're interested, I created a soccer template for Serendipity a while back, you can see the screenshot or download it here
kickoff3pm
Regular

Post by kickoff3pm »

carl_galloway wrote:If you're interested, I created a soccer template for Serendipity a while back, you can see the screenshot or download it here
Thanks for that, I had already tried your soccer templete carl and found it unsuitable for my needs. If you intend doing another version I would be happy to help you out with images or ideas.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Sorry it wasn't suitable for your needs, and thanks for the offer. I really would like to take you up on that. What did you have in mind?
kickoff3pm
Regular

Post by kickoff3pm »

carl_galloway wrote:Sorry it wasn't suitable for your needs, and thanks for the offer. I really would like to take you up on that. What did you have in mind?
Well I don't have a clue as to how you make a templete but I am regarded as a football history expert and have a large collection of memorabilia which we could use to inspire us. One idea I had was for a complete site in shades of gray using images taken from a football book I have from 1905.

In a templete with perhaps a image rotation in the header or in the sidebar.

Don't know really how to start, perhaps if you pop me an email to *******@fastmail.fm we'll sort some ideas out but no rush this end.
Last edited by kickoff3pm on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

mmm, love your idea, I'd be happy to work on the template if you could provide the scans. I'll email you so we can throw a few ideas around.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Looks good; I especially like the Info Helper that searches Wikipedia. Is that an HTML nugget?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

judebert wrote:Looks good; I especially like the Info Helper that searches Wikipedia. Is that an HTML nugget?
I suppose it's the Wikipedia Finder plugin :wink:
kickoff3pm
Regular

Post by kickoff3pm »

Sorry judebert, I didn't pickup on your question and thanks to mattsches for providing the correct answer.

Yes, as the site is about people I thought is a good idea to give people an easy access to futher info on those people. Luckerly the wiki plugin was there and it seems to work well so thanks to the coder on that.

Does anyone know how to put in a button to replace the text "Continue reading "blar blar blar" "

I don't think that is clear enough and some people might not find it and miss the full posting because of that.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Open entries.tpl and simply edit the line that contains

Code: Select all

{if $entry.has_extended and not $is_single_entry and not $entry.is_extended}
    <br /><a href="{$entry.link}#extended">    {$CONST.VIEW_EXTENDED_ENTRY|@sprintf:$entry.title}</a><br /><br />
{/if}
The bit that reads $CONST.VIEW_EXTENDED_ENTRY is a variable drawn from the relevant language found under the lang folder of Serendipity. You can easily change this by editing it, just look for

Code: Select all

@define('VIEW_EXTENDED_ENTRY', 'Continue reading "%s"');
Hope that helps,

Carl