After my site was hacked......

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
Mapster
Regular

After my site was hacked......

Post by Mapster »

Don't panic, it was a Joomla site. Anyway, that's the second time it was hacked so I decided to try out serendipity.

Watcha think so far?

http://www.dsmania.co.uk
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Looks great! Now I have another nifty game site to add to my feeds. :D
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi there

I would suggest you try reducing the size of the Sidebar title text slightly as it doesn't centre at the moment.

other than that - great!

Dave
Mapster
Regular

Post by Mapster »

d_cee wrote:Hi there

I would suggest you try reducing the size of the Sidebar title text slightly as it doesn't centre at the moment.

other than that - great!

Dave
Is it supposed to be centred? I kinda like it where it is :)
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Re: After my site was hacked......

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

Mapster wrote:Don't panic, it was a Joomla site. Anyway, that's the second time it was hacked so I decided to try out serendipity.

Watcha think so far?

I think you should revert the footer back to "Design by Bex & Carl". If you use their design, you should not remove their tag in the footer :(
Mapster
Regular

Re: After my site was hacked......

Post by Mapster »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:
Mapster wrote:Don't panic, it was a Joomla site. Anyway, that's the second time it was hacked so I decided to try out serendipity.

Watcha think so far?

I think you should revert the footer back to "Design by Bex & Carl". If you use their design, you should not remove their tag in the footer :(
I'd have thought if you had taken the effort to post that you could have at least given your thoughts on my tweaks so far ;)

I may well put it back, after all it's a great template!
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

After the first comments i expected a new and own template. But i just found bex02, so what else could i say ;) I like the bex02 template, yes.
Mapster
Regular

Post by Mapster »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:After the first comments i expected a new and own template. But i just found bex02, so what else could i say ;) I like the bex02 template, yes.
As I've only started customising it it really will be my own by the time I have finished. Therefore, no need for credits in my footer. As you are being cheeky for the sake of it, it's obvious there is no point me asking you "What do you think of my site".

As this board is for showcasing sites that are customised, even in small ways, I bet you get a right laugh from jumping around the threads telling folk to put their footer credits back on :)

Nice to see the Serendipity template cops are out in force to welcome newbies to the site!

Mapster.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Mapster, I would like to welcome you to Serendipity. Believe me when I say its always good to have new members who can help us build the community.

I would have preferred to stay out of the licensing issue, I have personally spent many thousands of Euro's dealing with copyright fraud from my site over the last few weeks but since the issue hase been raised, the Bex01 template is GPL. The original template was based on andreas08 (a GPL open source html template), it was converted to Serendipity by me but then Bex01 was created by Bex who was kind enough to leave my link in. Due to the radical changes she had made there was no real need to have left my link in, or Andreas' for that matter. Open source software is as we all know generally free but people like me who spend many hundreds of hours learning about templating and then creating templates for other people to download do like it when a link is left in place - it does make me feel good when another designer thinks so highly of my work that they are prepared to acknowledge it. I'm fairly certain that Bex would feel the same way, and definitely I know that Andreas feels this way. On the other hand, if the link is removed I can't really do anything about it.

Harald is a good friend of the Serendipity community and has been an active member and loyal supporter of my work and I appreciate him taking the time to offer a gentle reminder. Honestly, please take Harald's comments in the good spirit in which they were offered.

Hope that clears things up, but if anyone has any questions about licensing etc, just send me an email.

Cheers

Carl
Mapster
Regular

Post by Mapster »

Hi Carl,

I'm actually quite happy to put the link back in, as it's such a great template. Sorry to hear about your wrangling over copyright fraud from your own site.

Harald's cheekiness had made me want to keep the link out, out of stubborness :)

It's a bit of a shame that folk have chosen to jump on the missing credit link as opposed to commenting on the content of my site.

I've been rushed to get the site up and running after the hack, I've made small changes and I'll make more when I get time.

I guess my humour levels are running low atm.

I'm enjoying serendipity so far. It's got it's own little quirks compared to Joomla, and it does some odd things I really wish it wouldn't, but it seems pretty sweet so far.

Mapster.
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Mapster wrote:Is it supposed to be centred? I kinda like it where it is :)
That's Ok then - you asked for comments. If you like the descenders sitting outside the background image - who am I to argue? :-)

Dave
Mapster
Regular

Post by Mapster »

d_cee wrote:
Mapster wrote:Is it supposed to be centred? I kinda like it where it is :)
That's Ok then - you asked for comments. If you like the descenders sitting outside the background image - who am I to argue? :-)

Dave
I honestly don't understand what you mean? What is a descender?

Cheers,

Mapster.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Mapster!

All is well. :)

I think you must excuse the response you got in the first postings, but sine your customization is as you say still on the way, people judged the page for what they could see at that point; which did look like bex a lot. Most of the s9y users here are very upgright, so you should see it like this: If you contributed a template that other people would only begin to modify and show off as theirs, you would feel strange as well, and would welcome people jumping in to tell about paying credit where credit is still due.

Anyways, I think you already got the point, I just wanted to bring the peace back in. ;)

You also wrote:
I'm enjoying serendipity so far. It's got it's own little quirks compared to Joomla, and it does some odd things I really wish it wouldn't, but it seems pretty sweet so far.
That's good to hear! As a developer of course I strive to try to make things better, so are there any specific quirks you see that could be removed or changed for the better? I'm all ears! :-)

Now, for the real important stuff: I like the design modifications you made so far! The header and icons perfectly fit into the gaming theme (which I am fond of *g*). It's a very well fitting design to the Nintendo issues, I am curious about the other modifications you are thinking about!

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
steven
Regular

Looks good

Post by steven »

I use the same template base. Bex02. Looks good.
Mapster
Regular

Post by Mapster »

That's good to hear! As a developer of course I strive to try to make things better, so are there any specific quirks you see that could be removed or changed for the better? I'm all ears!
Well, I've just realised I'm running 0.9 I think which I discovered after I had used the auto installer on my hosting companies control panel.

Therefore, there's a good chance that any glitches I might post have already been sorted?

A small one then to get you started. If you look at my front page you can see thumbnailed images downt the right hand side of each news article. When inserting the images if I put in a caption it breaks the formatting of the image, throwing it over to the left and making it look very odd. I'm not using captions at the moment :)