Default template as listing site, image plugin question

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
tradesouthwest
Regular

Default template as listing site, image plugin question

Post by tradesouthwest »

I would like to showcase my Serendipity site. You can note that the site is created on the Serendipity default template but before you laugh and say, "why is this guy showcasing a default theme?" I want to showcase the usage and layout of the Website. It is a craigslist type site for a local area between two big cities. Although Serendipity is a blog CMS, it works great for a listing CMS. No ecommerce or payment portals so it is ideal for email exchange and membership intialization. http://casaslist.com From what I gather the default template does not support a lot of the Plugins. So here is my question:

The only thing I need is a better way to manage uploading and displaying images for each individual listing, without having all the pictures/images show in a common directory when they go to upload their image. (the user uploading the file would see his/her file, not everyone elses file that is on the server and displayed on the default image upload plugin window.)
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Default template as listing site, image plugin question

Post by Timbalu »

tradesouthwest wrote:The only thing I need is a better way to manage uploading and displaying images for each individual listing, without having all the pictures/images show in a common directory when they go to upload their image. (the user uploading the file would see his/her file, not everyone elses file that is on the server and displayed on the default image upload plugin window.)
Are you talking about the backend media library appearance?

Did you check in backend - Configuration - General Settings - Enable Plugin ACL for usergroups?
If the option "Plugin ACL for usergroups" is enabled in the configuration, you can specify which usergroups are allowed to execute certain plugins/events. This should do this, I presume...

If not, there is another chance tweaking Manage Groups - Standard Editor - Edit -
  • adminImages: Administrate media files
    adminImagesAdd: Add new media files
    adminImagesDelete: Delete media files
    adminImagesDirectories: Administrate media directories
    adminImagesMaintainOthers: Administrate other user's media files
    adminImagesSync: Sync thumbnails
    adminImagesView: View media files
    adminImagesViewOthers: View other user's media files
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
tradesouthwest
Regular

Post by tradesouthwest »

Thanks a million, Timbalu, I will look into this and get back to you to let you know how it goes. And, yes, I was referring to the back-end media library.
So far I just inserted text around the Entries template next to the media button to make users aware of what they are looking at when they post a picture.

Another thing I did was to insert more text into the admin/entries.tpl to alert users about choosing a Category. I noticed myself forgetting to select a Category; so it is now highlighted, twice, as a reminder.
Thanks again for your reply.
Larry - Tradesouthwest
tradesouthwest
Regular

Post by tradesouthwest »

The ACL option will not work (can not initialize or click on "Yes" and save). I just read in a thread that the new version of 1.7 takes care of the errors I am getting (blank 404/412 page with "Precondition Failed[.] The precondition on the request for the URL /serendipity_admin.php evaluated to false.") but I can not see 1.7 on GitHub so I guess the thread I read was premature in their resolution to the errors. LETS GET THAT 1.7! :lol: :roll:
Accordingly, the 1.7 version fixes some of the quirks with the parsing of newer PHP versions. Makes total sense seeing as the new PHP is being deployed on many servers at this time.
I also reloaded many of the 'root' and 'include' directory files like serendipity_admin, serendipity_config.inc, about all of them actually, thinking that maybe I had corrupted or altered an entry in one of the files.

Also... I installed Lightbox and can not click on a thumbnail to (enlarge) or see the image in full size. I tried turning on and off JavaScript optimizer with no luck. The instructions note that each "a href=xxx" will be converted to a Lightbox viewable element. It does not. I think it may be the default template I am using????
I should move this thread to the appropriate forum group... doing so tonight :mrgreen:
axxo1

Post by axxo1 »

I was taking a look at showcased websites made using serendipity and I came across your thread/website which unfortunately seems to be down at the moment :?:

Hope this helps