Adventures of Eiki Martinson

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
eikimart
Regular

Adventures of Eiki Martinson

Post by eikimart »

Hi! I've been a user of s9y for many years now. I recently launched a new version of my personal site, using s9y for the blog features: http://eikimartinson.com.

I'm using media queries to adapt the layout to screen width (scale the browser window or try it in your mobile phone to see). The typography is set on a 24 pixel baseline rhythm, click on the checkbox at the bottom of the page to overlay the baseline grid. There's a bit of javascript that even adjusts the height of blocks containing images to make the rhythm continue correctly across images of any height.

I'd like to hear what you think about my modifications to the Archives plugin; I'm using a jquery accordion-like effect there to expand or contract the year when you click on it.

All criticisms and comments are welcome. Thanks to the developers and community behind Serendipity, this software is great!
yellowled
Regular

Re: Adventures of Eiki Martinson

Post by yellowled »

eikimart wrote:I've been a user of s9y for many years now. I recently launched a new version of my personal site, using s9y for the blog features: http://eikimartinson.com.
I'm just gonna be blunt here: I have seen a lot of shitty sites in this particular subforum, but this really is a sight for sore eyes. Very, very well done.

Quite frankly, when I first glanced a the site, I was suspecting that this was a spam post (like we get them in here frequently) of a site not even running s9y since it just doesn't look like the average s9y blog.

This is an extremely nice showcase of what is possible with s9y (and cutting edge frontend development, BTW) if you put some work in a site. I think I can estimate the amount of time and love you have put into this, and it shows.

You should consider joining our develoment team if you have any spare time at all.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Outstanding!!!
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I can only add to this; I like the lightweightedness of it, and the type is really nice to read. Very good job on this! :-)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Yes, very nice and (c)lean!

But you are loading jquery twice now.
You might decide to stick with the one provided automatically by serendipity and move some things around, or disable the one with

Code: Select all

// Disable the use of Serendipity JQuery
$serendipity[‘capabilities’][‘jquery’] = false;
in your templates config.inc.php.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
eikimart
Regular

Post by eikimart »

Thank you very much gentlemen, for your kind words and comments!

Timbalu: thanks for catching that, I wasn't aware that s9y was also loading jquery. I'm going to do some experimenting and see what works best, but will probably try to use the latest jquery version, served by the Google CDN. There are other performance tweaks I should probably do as well, so I'll start profiling and trying out some things---the results of that may make for a useful blog post as well.

Yellowled: I'd love to contribute something to s9y. Do you have any ideas on where to begin? Should I build a theme? Would people be interested in my tweaks to the archives plugin?

Thanks again!
Eni
Regular

Post by Eni »

Love your layout very much as well. It's so simple and yet looks very classy. The archive tweak is very nice too.
eikimart wrote:Should I build a theme?
Can't speak for the team, but I for one would love to see more new themes on pair with the upcoming new default template (see dev thread). If s9y has any weakness, then it's the lack of awesome themes (to customize) which aren't WP ports :D
Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

eikimart wrote:but will probably try to use the latest jquery version, served by the Google CDN.
I think there's a rather automagic mechanism to circumvent loading the bundled jQuery – if I remember it correctly, a "manually" referenced version just needs to be called jquery.js as well to stop s9y from loading the bundled one in the head. (At least I seem to remember Garvin writing something about that somewhere in these forums.)
eikimart wrote:I'd love to contribute something to s9y. Do you have any ideas on where to begin? Should I build a theme? Would people be interested in my tweaks to the archives plugin?
Yes, all of it! :mrgreen:

As of now, we're a small team, escpecially in terms of "pure" frontend development. While a small team has its benefits (quick communication, fast support, easy to get in and do something), it also means some tasks take time, especially since we do all the work in our spare time.

Of course, you could build free themes, which is a great way to fame within the community as well as something which has come to a halt some time ago. You can host and announce them yourselves, but I'm sure we could grant you access to put them on spartacus as well. I'd also love to hear your ideas on 2k11, the potential new default template for s9y (preferably via email, I guess).

Apart from that, the next "big thing" for s9y in tems of frontend is HTML5 for both frontend and backend as well as some jQuery enhancements along with that. I actually have a working HTML5 prototype for the new backend which I'm going to finalize and put on GitHub over the next couple of days so we can get started on that. This really is long term development, I don't think it's going to be considered for even v1.7. Once we have that, a lot of plugins are going to need proper HTML5 markup as well.

YL
95Felton

Post by 95Felton »

Hey I'm Felton and here for the first time. I came across this thread and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.