Embedded Blog

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
claudermilk
Regular

Embedded Blog

Post by claudermilk »

I have gotten another embedded blog all configured and running now. It uses the Bulletproof style, and makes use of the user.css and modified index.tpl ability. I also had to allow includes, as all the content around the blog is using site-wide included files (header, left-side menu, and footer). The index.tpl allowed me to bury Serendipity's DIV structures within my own CSS frameset. The admin configuration actually is set to not flag the blog as being embedded.

Anyway, without further ado, the URL: www.tribe-roman-morga.com

I still have a few very minor CSS tweaks to play around with, and want to figure out how to default the WYSIWYG font to the main site Body CSS style.

What got me finishing this one up was throwing a quickie iframe-based one here: www.chrislaudermilkphoto.com. Getting the style to match was amazingly simple. Really the only hack I did there was to enclose each post in an additional DIV to apply to background box to. Gotta love the Bulletproof style. :mrgreen:

So, now I think I've tried every method available to embed Serendipity into another website...
judebert
Regular

Re: Embedded Blog

Post by judebert »

Tribe Roman Morga is a truly beautiful site. The embedding is just about seamless. I'm a little surprised it works without the "embedded" option; I thought it would output a second <head> section. Unless you modified the template to handle it?

And I assume you've got the indexFile option pointing to your home script.

In any case, very nice styling. You realize, of course, that you're now our expert on embedding. We'll send the questions your way! :lol:
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
claudermilk
Regular

Post by claudermilk »

Thank you. I just completely revamped the site from the ground up. I ditched the old HTML frameset formatting, and instead am completely CSS & DIV driven now. I also heavily modularized the pages, so the header, menu, and footer are all include files (which took me an additional 1/2 hour to get working on the blog).

What I've done is simply point at the ./serendipity/index.php page on the menu, and left the admin config at index.php. So as far as the blog knows, it isn't embedded. The sneaky trick here is using the index.tpl and user.css files in Bulletproof. I added the necessary styles from my main CSS to user.css to force them into the blog--and I might play around to see if I can eliminate this need. FOr the formatting, I simply grabbed the sections of the main site template and pasted it into the appropriate spots in index.tpl. That's three places: 1) in the head section where I stuck my site-wide meta tags and css includes, 2) just after the body tag right after the smarty {/if} I stuck the opening tags for all my structural divs, and finally 3) at the end of the body section, just before the smarty tags, I pasted the rest of my structural DIVs, effectively encapsulating the entire blog output into my main content DIV. So, there's only one head section there. I got that idea from you (http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?p=21370#p21370). :wink:

Now I can put it away for a bit & rest my brain. Later I will play around with trying to default the main content font to Georgia (some of the posts picked it up, some didn't), and a nicer way of boxing in the various sidebar components. For now, I have some more photography stuff to catch up on and some maintenance of the photo site. The one thing I want to figure out there is how to dynamically size the iframe to eliminate the second scrollbar--but it's running into the cross-domain security problem there...
Erickel

Post by Erickel »

Clauder did you figure out how to automatically change the iframe so that no scrolling is needed? If so could you share please!

Erick