www.dd4kids.de

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
konus
Regular

www.dd4kids.de

Post by konus »

http://www.dd4kids.de is my new (german) blog about playgrounds and other things for kids (and there parents) in the city of Dresden, Germany.

The thing I like most is that all entries are geotagged with the geotag plugin. Afterwards a python script on cron will collect all geotagged entries from the database and build a nice google map out of it, with all entries on it and the possibility to filter categories. If you click on the entries you can jump back to the blog.

The map-function was done with the kindly assistance by Christian Harms from http://mittagstisch-ka.de/. Thank you!
Xessex
Regular

Re: www.dd4kids.de

Post by Xessex »

Konus,

I'd like to build such a map too if possible. I write travel stories and each post i want to geotag and make it become visible on a google map on top of the screen, including to link to the blog post.

It would be a lovely feature. There's just one problem.. i can't programm for shit. So if you could give me some help... or share me how it should be done.

What i want to do is create a stiky post, on top of my blog, with a google map. Can that be done in my blog: http://www.wesselvanschaijk.nl
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

Hi Xessex,
you have a nice blog with very good pictures!

I am afraid, my knowledge in programming is not much better then yours (I got some heavy help), but lets see what we can achieve.

How is it working:
Tagging of the article is done with the serenpity_event-geotag plugin. - Thats the easy part. Just install, enter the api-key and use.

The map is created by using a python script started by a daily cron-job to extract the geoinformation out of the mysql database and writes it into a csv-file.

At the end, the generation of the map with links to the articles is done with a java-script witch needs the csv-file generated earlier. In my case the map is included as an iframe in a static page, but I think, this should also be possible in a blog post.

So your webspace needs cron-jobs and python with the moduls re,sys,codecs and MySQLdb. I am sure, this could also be done within serendipity with php only, but I am not able to do it.

If you are still interested, I will ask the programmer of the map if it is ok to give you the code.
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

I know about the geotagplugin. I started fooling around with that one on another blog i host. On the other hand i have no clue what you are saying about cronjobs and all...

Nonetheless i'm very interested if this might work for my weblog. So if you could ask the programmer i would be much delighted. The map will be sized smaller as in your blog, but one could always zoom out and zoom in.

Thanx also for the kind words. It's a simple blog, in which i just recently started to put some effort in. Created it at the end of 2006, for situations that might ever occur. I forsaw a future as a travel journalist and i'm getting closer to my goal. Thats where my blog should be used for. You probably could understand what i wrote given the fact you are German.

Cheers to my happy neighbour
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

Sandby, I asked the programmer...
Xessex wrote:On the other hand i have no clue what you are saying about cronjobs and all...
Python is an programming language (like PHP too) and Cron is a service to start jobs by time. Both are additional requirements of the solution to run on your Webserver. Please ask your provider/ hoster, if this will work on your webspace.
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

I have just checked with my host and it seems non of those are supported, at least not cronjobs en python. The details of my host can be found here
http://one-docs.com/php5/

So that probably won't work. Are there other solutions possible?
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

The map needs a csv-file with the information. It looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Lat, Lon, 'Acticlename', 'No.#', 'catagory', 'imagelink'],
I would say you could:
1. find a other way to generate the file,
2. create it manually or
3. change your webhoster. :wink:
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

I chose for creating a map manually and that worked. But there goes one thing wrong. When i copy the google map code into my blog, it messes up the outline of my blog. You dont see any sidebar anymore and the endlines of the post.

Have a look: http://www.wesselvanschaijk.nl/archives ... l#extended

So what should i place along the </iframe>...google map code to make sure it fits in just one blogpost?
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

Xessex wrote:So what should I place along the </iframe>...google map code to make sure it fits in just one blogpost?
I checked the html code and i found no </iframe> tag. After inserting it manually, your website renders perfectly.
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

konus wrote:
Xessex wrote:So what should I place along the </iframe>...google map code to make sure it fits in just one blogpost?
I checked the html code and i found no </iframe> tag. After inserting it manually, your website renders perfectly.
But i inserted the whole gole map code in my blog post, this one. And it shows the map, but it messes up the rest of my blog. What can i really do about that, cause i dont get it.

<iframe marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?hl=nl&ie= ... tput=embed" frameborder="0" width="425" scrolling="no" height="350" />
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

I saw the misstake...
i miseed the </iframe> at the end of the code.

It works fine now if i stick to the dimensions Google give. width=425, hight=350.

I changed them in the code to 500 and 200, but now the map doesnt want to show up in the googleframe. Might you have a clue why?
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

For me, it looks like it works now? Congratulations!
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

konus wrote:For me, it looks like it works now? Congratulations!
Do you see the map?

All i see is a white square on the place i should see the map. So the whole google map frame is there just dont see any map, but a white background.

I'm having ie7
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

Yes, I see the map on Opera 9.51 and it works on Firefox 3.0 too. It does not work at IE7, so it seems like a IE-Problem.

Maybe with this information, you find an answer at the net or in the Google Maps Help Group
Xessex
Regular

Re: www.dd4kids.de

Post by Xessex »

I'm back with another question.....

I want something different for my blog. Where you geotag spielplatze, id like to geotag old architectural works. So with each entry i create, about a chucrh or something with a geotag, it pops up with a pic and link to the post on a google map like on you site.

The width, headerstyle of your site are appealing...plus you got that whole map integrated. My first question is: can i lend and adjust your website?
My second is: which host do you have, as cron-jobs wasnt supported on mine? (and what does it cost a year?)

So basically i'd like to steal your layout :P and the tab with the map as well... haha
You have done a great job.

If the map is working, i will start adjusting background-color, post-color and the header similar to what i have on www.wesselvanschaijk.nl

Then there still should be done some more tweaking but that i can probably ask around for.