www.dd4kids.de

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
konus
Regular

Re: www.dd4kids.de

Post by konus »

Thank you! All of the work you see on my pages is done with the help of the great members in this forum, so I'd be glad to give something back to the community.

First Question: Of course you can copy the layout and change it afterwards to fit your needs. I even would like to encourage you to learn by looking into the work of other people.

My layout is based of bulletproof with some custom settings in user.css which can be involved into bulletproof. To get the layout you have to do the following:
* Install serendipity
* choose bulletproof template (is default now)
* go into the template options and choose blue setup.
* copy my user.css and upload it to your bulletproof-directory
* tweak some of the settings of bulletproof (I go later into the details)
Done.

Second question: My page is hosted be sysprovide. This is a fairly small german hoster with a good reputation (my opinion!) I have good experiences with the support, they installed some python-modules I needed just for me, one hour after asking for. My packet costs 2,50 €/month consists python, cron jobs and mySQL-databases without limit. safe_mode is off and it is possible to quit the contract within 30 days. The only drawback could be the limitation to 32 MB PHP-Memory (enough for s9y but not for some other stuff), but it is possible to buy more.

I don't know how good the support in English would be. I think you should be able to find a similar offer in your country. Look at your local webmaster-forums for recommendations. Avoid the big players unless you are know exactly what you need. If you can't find a good hoster in your country, ask sysprovide about english support, but this would be my second choice.

Greetings
Konrad
Xessex
Regular

Post by Xessex »

Im gonna check the webserver out... thanks alot.

Im not sure what i will do and when i will start with it, cause another idea popped up as well. I think i will try it first with your layout.....

Probably take a new url for it... and just keep my old weblog running independently on my dutch webserver...keep the two things seperated
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Guys, just a short remark: This is the Showcase forum. It is intended to show off customized s9y blogs and debate about them. In-depth discussions about particular features and how to implement them should be taken to any suitable forum but this in order to make sure other users can find it and profit from it, too :)

YL
konus
Regular

Re: www.dd4kids.de (Update)

Post by konus »

I updated the Map in http://www.DD4Kids.de. It shows all geocoded articles of my blog (with serendipity_event_geotag) and usess now Google Api V3 (Streetview) and several other map sources (i.e. OpenStreetmap.org).

The JavaScript to show the map is implended in a static page via an Iframe. (All code is free usable if you want.)

The map-data is created outside of the blog by a daily python script. It extracts the data out of the s9y-database and put it into a text-file. (I believe it could be done inside of s9y as well, but I am not capable to make this work.)

All code is free usable.