Revamped Blogs

Here you can post your custom-made, pimped up Serendipity installations, show off what you have achieved and tweaked
carl_galloway
Regular

Revamped Blogs

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I was here but ceejay and I are having a great time in Spain, and we've revamped our blogs if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Ceejay's site is www.pixabella.com
and mine, www.carlgalloway.com

The theme on pixabella will be released some time next week I hope.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Both look good Carl!
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Glad to have you back, Carl!

The Pixabella header is geometrically fascinating. The colors are very soothing, too. I like it.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Thanks guys, I can't claim any of the credit for the look of the Pixabella site, the other half has really been getting into Inkscape, she still complains because it hasn't reached v1.0 yet and she's constantly posting bug reports but overall...

@Jude, we were both really pleased with how tranquil that design is. There is also a pink colorset but the green is the crowning glory on that theme. It uses most of the same code as the hawaii theme and whilst the resemblance is still there it actually looks quite different.

I can't wait to release the new pixabella theme but I have a client site to work on this week (and using Serendipity as well), and before I can release any new s9y themes I feel like I have to go back to school - I don't even understand what you guys have been working on in v1.3 - sheesh, sacrilige to say this but WP is easier to understand than s9y at the moment, mind you I've been doing a lot with WP so I guess that's to be expected.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Heretic! Burn him! :D

Actually, there hasn't been much functional change in 1.3. We've added a few features, including some new input widgets, and we've perfected BulletProof to the point where we're ready to make it our new default.

Glad to see you back, though. As usual, we're all available if you need anything.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:WP is easier to understand than s9y at the moment
Now that has to be the weirdest statement ever made in this forum :wink:

YL
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Ooops, did I really say that? Um I mean that I've done a few themes for clients who specifically wanted WP and so I've kinda got used to the WP calls and stuff like that. I haven't done any s9y v1.2 or v1.3 themes but I see bulletproof has come a long way since I first saw it, quite a few really nice options, and when I look at the code I get a little lost trying to figure it out.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:Um I mean that I've done a few themes for clients who specifically wanted WP and so I've kinda got used to the WP calls and stuff like that.
So have I doing all those WP ports - actually, I think I can do a WP port quicker than doing a s9y template from scratch now. That may sound weird, but once you get used to it's strange syntax and the way it handles things differently, it really dismantles the supposed "power" of WP. I can honestly say that from a template designer's point of view, I have no idea whatsoever why the whole world is using it - although I have to admit I can understand it from a user's point of view, especially if said user is not a geeky person but just your average John Doe.
carl_galloway wrote:I haven't done any s9y v1.2 or v1.3 themes but I see bulletproof has come a long way since I first saw it, quite a few really nice options, and when I look at the code I get a little lost trying to figure it out.
I can understand that very well. BP has gotten awfully complicated because of all those options. Hell, it's hard for me to get back into the code when I have to do a fix and haven't looked at it for a while :lol:

YL
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

ROFLMAO, if one of the BP designers can't figure it out... I thought the intention was to create something that users could easily get their head around and customise to their needs easier than the old default template?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Carl - Bulletproof is intended as a framework/foundation for other templates. It has been used as such, but surprisingly (to me) it is being used "out of the box" by thousands of users.

I have to agree with YL - when I have not worked on it for awhile, then return for a minor fix, I often get lost in the template's power and complexity. I do not think this is a bad thing. Just a reminder that we have built in some pretty powerful stuff into such a simple framework. BTW- "simple" does not equal "easy". :lol:

The current default template that you designed still rocks IMHO, and we have a sweet version of bp on standby that I hope pays tribute to your excellent efforts to this great CMS!!!!!

Anyway, hope all is well with you and CJ and you are both enjoying Spain.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:ROFLMAO, if one of the BP designers can't figure it out...
I can figure it out, but it takes some time :)
carl_galloway wrote:I thought the intention was to create something that users could easily get their head around and customise to their needs easier than the old default template?
Well, the original intention was not related to users at all. The original intention was to provide a solid code base to build new templates upon. I guess we got carried away in the development process adding all those theme options to easily customize a BP template to the user's needs - that's when it got more and more about what users needed/wanted than about being a solid code base for new templates.

That's what BP is now: It's the most simple way to have a solid, unbreakable (keep your fingers crossed) template which is also easy to customize without having to edit complicated .tpl files. As Don already noted, most of it's users don't even bother to make CSS changes. Most of them simply use the theme options to tweak the output code and add their own header image.

YL
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I've been taking a look at BP the last few days and I'm really impressed, I might even extract some of the modules and try to add them to my older themes to bring them into the 21st century
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:I've been taking a look at BP the last few days and I'm really impressed, I might even extract some of the modules and try to add them to my older themes to bring them into the 21st century
Glad you (still) like it :)

Please feel free to contact me for any help with BP. Also, feel free to give us your input on any kind of improvement BP might still need.

YL