Serendipity 1.3-beta1 released

garvinhicking
Core Developer

Serendipity 1.3-beta1 released

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Serendipity 1.3-beta1 has been released. This beta is considered a release candidate before the final 1.3 release, which is scheduled to be released at the end of this month.

The new release is mainly a feature consolidation release:

* The karma rating plugin has been upgraded to support nice, CSS-based rating graphics and an overall rehaul on the its coding.

* Make the Spartacus plugin be able to use FTP upload, a workaround for SafeMode PHP restrictions. Also add a remote backend for plugin update checks.

* An importer for phpNuke and lifetype has been added.

* Support for pingbacks has been improved a lot. Trackbacks can now be blocked based on Sender IP checks.

* Add better CSS styling for some internal plugins and the embedding of images. Also made the Remote-RSS plugin to be capable of Smarty-Templating.

* Increased Smarty templating features for the {serendipity_fetchPrintEntries} function, to be able to check for entry properties.

* Add support for SQRelay.

The full list of 35 changes to this release are documented within the NEWS file.

Regarding Security, the bundled Smarty library has been updated to version 2.6.19 and adresses an issue in environments where the PHP security mode is required. Also, the new Serendipity release contains tighter backend XSS checks so that environments with untrusted authors can be more secure - many thanks to Hanno Böck for addressing this.

Please test this release and give us feedback here or on the forums so that we can further improve this upcoming version. The files are available on the s9y.org Downloads page. Upgrade pointers can be found in the FAQ and is as easy as just to upload the new files.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Serendipity 1.3-beta1 released

Post by Don Chambers »

garvinhicking wrote: * Add better CSS styling for some internal plugins and the embedding of images. Also made the Remote-RSS plugin to be capable of Smarty-Templating.

* Increased Smarty templating features for the {serendipity_fetchPrintEntries} function, to be able to check for entry properties.
Any chance of smartifying both the recent entries and recent comments plugins?????
=Don=
jaal
Regular

Post by jaal »

garvinhicking wrote: Please test this release and give us feedback here or on the forums so that we can further improve this upcoming version
Upgrade from 1.2.1 works like a charm. And it seems all of my plugins are still working. :)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
Any chance of smartifying both the recent entries and recent comments plugins?????
Why exactly? What would the benefit be to rectify the additional performance impact and maintainability hassle of another template file?

Regards,
Garvin
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi!
Why exactly? What would the benefit be to rectify the additional performance impact and maintainability hassle of another template file?

Regards,
Garvin
Why? Flexibility of presentation.

Performance? Isn't that true of any of the plugins that have tpl's, like the rss plugin that just became smarty capable?

The categories plugin has a yes/no field for whether or not to use tpls..... wouldn't that eliminate any performance hit for those not using it?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
Why? Flexibility of presentation.
What is too unflexible with the current CSS approach?
Performance? Isn't that true of any of the plugins that have tpl's, like the rss plugin that just became smarty capable?
Yes. But the RSS sidebar plugin is not installed by default. Currently, IMHO only absolutely necessary sidebar plugins of the core are templated.
The categories plugin has a yes/no field for whether or not to use tpls..... wouldn't that eliminate any performance hit for those not using it?
It still has the maintainability issue, people wondering why it needs to be enabled etc. I'd really like to keep that low, and I don't see what in those plugins cannot be achieved with CSS in 99,9% of all cases where someone wants to change a thing?

Regards,
Garvin
Suburban Hell

Post by Suburban Hell »

hello all,

when is the release of v1.3 intended to happen? in the end of february or of march?
i'd like to install serendipty, but i would wait if it's just a matter of some days for the new release.

ciao!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Suburban Hell wrote:when is the release of v1.3 intended to happen? in the end of february or of march?
It's a little late for end of February, but definitely in the next couple of days, as far as I know.

YL
MagicV
Regular

Post by MagicV »

Is it right, that the Final 1.3. is been able to download? Or may my few englich-knowledge are not good enough for this --->
subberman77
Regular

Post by subberman77 »

NO. only the beta1 is availble at the moment. just check the download section at this page. ;)
maxfli55
Regular

Post by maxfli55 »

Is there a new date scheduled for the final 1.3 release?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I'm lacking a bit of time, but I hope it will be out before easter. Well, I do think it should be released before then.

Regards,
Garvin
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:I hope it will be out before easter
We could start giving the release cute codenames. This could be "Bugfree Bunny" :wink:

YL
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Oh, $DEITY. Someone go shoot Ubuntu now.

Who got this cute idea in the first place? If we're going to name our releases, I think we should go for action movie heroes.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
subberman77
Regular

Post by subberman77 »

judebert wrote:Oh, $DEITY. Someone go shoot Ubuntu now.

Who got this cute idea in the first place? If we're going to name our releases, I think we should go for action movie heroes.
Serendipity 1.3 - JOHN RAMBO RELEASE

Stands for the outstanding power since 5 years of Serendipity! :-)