Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

OK, everything should be ready. I've finished the plugin and checked it into SPARTACUS, so it should be showing up in a day or so. I also finished the v1.2 code and checked it in, too. I tested to make certain that the code would work if only the plugin was installed, only the v1.2 code was installed, or both were installed. I also verified that the media tag fails gracefully if neither v1.2 nor the plugin are installed. In all, it should be fairly... bulletproof. ;-)

I also enhanced it with some of YellowLed's and my own suggestions. The preview image now updates dynamically. (Wow, the media chooser is well programmed.) I changed the preview to a div, and I populate its background-image property.

I also restricted the size of the preview. You can specify its size in your template by adding 'preview_width'=>'500px' and 'preview_height'=>'3em' (or any other valid CSS values) in your template's config.inc. If not specified, they default to 400px and 100px, respectively (wider than tall).

Finally, there's some code cleanup, too. I could've reduced the JavaScript by a few lines, but I like it readable.

Let me know if I broke anything!
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

OK - last weekend was my son's 9th b-day and a US holiday. Coming weekend is wife's 40th b-day, and week after that is a major party in my neighborhood, which I am very involved in. After that, I should be able to get back into this!!! Sorry I have been so busy, but nice to see Judebert's contributions, even if I have no idea what all that is just yet!!! :lol:
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Sorry I have been so busy, but nice to see Judebert's contributions, even if I have no idea what all that is just yet!!! :lol:
You know, some of us are working while you are finding your inner party animal :wink:

BTW, I just read Garvins post about styling the admin backend - should we do something in that area for bp? I have absolutely no idea what's new in that area, but I'll try to figure it out some time this week :lol: Plus, Garvin has indicated that v1.2 will not be released before late summer, so we have some more time for finishing bp.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

YL - I have always thought BP should be styling the admin interface, just presumed it could wait until the absolute end. I have not seen the post from Garvin yet.

In terms of "finding my inner party animal".... I think I found it once, but lost it many years ago!!! :P
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi guys

I too read Garvin's post yesterday about styling the admin and thought I should have a look at BP admin.

I also had a look at Alp Uckan's 'adaption' - very nice - and I was wondering whether we should add an option to BP that allowed for a sidebar at the bottom :-)

And great work with the header image judebert!

cheers

Dave
ps - enjoy your partying Don ;-)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:I also had a look at Alp Uckan's 'adaption' - very nice - and I was wondering whether we should add an option to BP that allowed for a sidebar at the bottom :-)
*sigh* Yeah, I thought about that, too.

And while we're at it, I'd still love to alter the code to be content first in any layout. Since we probably have another two or three months, I'm probably just gonna give it a shot. It requires some extra markup, but on the other hand, we could lose all the skiplink stuff.

I also started to write some documentation, but that's really work in progress, just like the template itself is.

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

I knew you'd have thought about the sidebar at the bottom yourself - I'm sure I saw the 'adaption' template on your blog when I visited once :-).

Whilst you're having a look at the sidebar, I'll take a look at the admin area if you like - and, if you think it would be useful, I'll do some styling documentation/tutorials for BP (when I've got a minute!)

cheers

Dave
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Where is 1) this post from Garvin regarding admin styling and 2) this theme that uses sidebars at the bottom?

Without seeing this "sidebars at the bottom" theme, my gut reaction is that I think that may be something to skip.... This thing started as a "basic" but "unbreakable" template to build upon. It already has tons of features not found in most of the advanced templates available. Adding this particular feature, if it requires tons of bloat, might be straying too far from the original intent of BP, IMHO.

Then again, I have not yet seen the example.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Without seeing this "sidebars at the bottom" theme, my gut reaction is that I think that may be something to skip.... This thing started as a "basic" but "unbreakable" template to build upon. It already has tons of features not found in most of the advanced templates available. Adding this particular feature, if it requires tons of bloat, might be straying too far from the original intent of BP, IMHO.

Then again, I have not yet seen the example.
Right, 'cause it doesn't require bloat at all. It's one more option in the config.inc.php, 42 more lines in the index.tpl (I could have saved some there), and 4 more lines in base.css (one is comment). Oh, and it's finished :)

Zipfile and sandbox have been updated, I have set the sandbox to the 1-column layout for the time being, so take a look yourselves :)

If both sidebars are populated, they will now use 50% of the width. In case only one sidebar is used, it will use the full width, but I'm not sure whether that's a sensible option. Maybe it should be only 50% wide, too, and centered?
d_cee wrote:I knew you'd have thought about the sidebar at the bottom yourself - I'm sure I saw the 'adaption' template on your blog when I visited once :smile:
Huh? I think you're confusing me with someone else, I never hat that on my blog :)
d_cee wrote:Whilst you're having a look at the sidebar, I'll take a look at the admin area if you like - and, if you think it would be useful, I'll do some styling documentation/tutorials for BP (when I've got a minute!)
I'll revise what I've got so far over the weekend and send it to you guys so you can check out what I already have. But it would be great if you could do that styling part since you have gotten much deeper into that doing the colorsets :)

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

It's looking really good with both sidebars used - nicely done :-) I'll have to add a bit of styling to the coloursets.

Why don't you make a writeboard for the documentation youve done so far and we can all work on it together - as and when there's time.

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:Why don't you make a writeboard for the documentation youve done so far and we can all work on it together - as and when there's time.
Done. Invitations have been mailed to you and Don.

I have the user documentation part somewhere on my laptop, but I haven't added it to the writeboard yet, so no need to address to that.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote: Done. Invitations have been mailed to you and Don.
YL
Nothing received on my end. Again - approaching the end of my recent diversions (well, actually s9y is the diversion, this other stuff is my life!!! LOL). I'm so far out of touch with what has been happening in the past month or so that it will take me a few weeks to catch up once I finally have the time to dig back in!

Anyway, I'll PM you if this invitation does not work a second time.
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

nothing received here either :-(

Dave
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Great job, guys!

<wet blanket>Boy, those 50% sidebars get really big in large displays. Maybe implementing some form of maximum width for them would help?</wet blanket>
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal