New template: Grunge

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

So guys, no further question on how (it was slightly ugly), but I'm now officially able to test my own themes in IE6/Win using xampp (what a great setup, piece of cake!).

So far for the good news. The bad news is that I haven't been able to reproduce the error :( In my IE6/Win, it looks just fine, even in different window sizes and during resizing.

So Jude, I'm afraid I need more input. Did you download the zipfile and install it or did you see this browsing my blog?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I was browsing your blog. I use Debian at home, so I tried the computer here at work; it claims to be 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.blahblahblah.

I tried again this morning; same thing.

Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:I was browsing your blog. I use Debian at home, so I tried the computer here at work; it claims to be 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.blahblahblah.

I tried again this morning; same thing.
I just love this: Two Debian users trying to work out something for IE/Win :roll:

Thanks for the screenshot, I actually had I different idea how this was supposed to look in your work IE. Right now I'm toying with the idea of simply giving IE6 it's own additional stylesheet which gives the content a fixed width ... seems like the most reasonable thing to do since I really don't want to waste my time bugfixing for one version of one browser.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

The only thing that ever seems to work with variable width templates in IE is to make sure the various elements add up to less than 100%. My advice, go with the fixed width alternative for windows. Its not worth the effort to get it perfect.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

YellowLed wrote: I just love this: Two Debian users trying to work out something for IE/Win :roll:

Thanks for the screenshot
Hee, hee. I installed the Gimp for Windows. I had to use Linux tools to get the job done.
Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:
YellowLed wrote:Thanks for the screenshot
Hee, hee. I installed the Gimp for Windows. I had to use Linux tools to get the job done.
Well, just imagine how easy it would have been if you could install ImageMagick for Windows and use import :wink:
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Well, another update. I won't get too excited about this since I'm pretty sure we have one of those nasty cases here where IE6/Win behaves differently in different installations. I had someone send me an IE6 screenshot yesterday (old version) and it looked just like Jude's, although the whole thing looks differently in my own IE6.

Anyway, the updated version now look just like it's supposed to in my IE6, so I'm praying Jude will confirm it (basically because I'm running out of ideas and this fix is really nice and simple :wink:). If so, this wasn't a problem with variable width ... ah, well, we'll see.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

You know, I ought to just keep your blog URL in my bookmarks.

Retrieving previous page... retrieving URL... almost! Now the sidebar is still displaced, but it has the same medium-tan color as the rest of the page, and the entries column extends to the end of the sidebar.

Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:You know, I ought to just keep your blog URL in my bookmarks.
Must be funny to be visiting a site again and again without being able to understand it's content :wink: (I assume you don't understand German?)
judebert wrote:Retrieving previous page... retrieving URL... almost! Now the sidebar is still displaced, but it has the same medium-tan color as the rest of the page, and the entries column extends to the end of the sidebar.
Hrmpf. I'm running out of ideas what to do here, especially since it looks perfect in my local test environment, but I'll try some things and report back ...
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Yes, it is amusing. I can occasionally make out snippets; when I'm truly interested, Google or my wife come to my rescue. (She speaks German, Spanish, and English; she was born in Ecuador to an Austrian and a Czech. It gets really confusing when she talks with her parents on the phone.)

Don't get too wound up over the template on my behalf. I'm not changing templates any time soon, and it's just one browser on one computer. Especially since your local version works fine. Could be something on my computer, for all we know.
Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:(She speaks German, Spanish, and English; she was born in Ecuador to an Austrian and a Czech. It gets really confusing when she talks with her parents on the phone.)
:shock: Wow. Now, that's a multicultural background!
judebert wrote:Don't get too wound up over the template on my behalf. I'm not changing templates any time soon, and it's just one browser on one computer. Especially since your local version works fine. Could be something on my computer, for all we know.
Well, I actually do have proof that it's not only your machine. But since I'm unable to reproduce this error, it's kind of difficult to figure out a solution.

I'm gonna try one more thing: set up an internet connection for my win installation and have a look at my blog with IE, maybe that's different from my local xampp test blog. However, I'm kind of swamped the next two days, so don't expect anything until thursday.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

YellowLed wrote:However, I'm kind of swamped the next two days, so don't expect anything until thursday.
Gee, that took some time, huh?

Just updated the stylesheet one (well, hopefully) last time. In my IE6/Win, it looks good now. However, some kind of confirmation (Jude? You out there?) would be appreciated :)

What did I do? I simply added "display: inline;" to .serendipitySideBarItem. (Edit: And of course some more fixes were needed to adjust margins/paddings in the sidebar after that ...)

This is actually a great example why translating great XHTML templates into s9y templates is not always a piece of cake. The XHTML template (it's from http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/) looks good in IE6/Win without any further effort. However, the code produced by our little blog engine is just a tad more complicated - which makes it a little more complicated to build a s9y template.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Sorry I've been gone so long.

And, sorry to say, when I revisited your blog, it was back to the earlier dark background and sidebar below the content.

Sigh.

More oddity: I tried resizing it. I suddenly saw the correct background colors! That only worked if I had the footer on the page, though. And the sidebar was still too low.

We're talking about 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 on my end. The "050301" makes me believe it's more than a year old, although I can't believe my IT department would do that. Maybe I've just got a buggy browser (or at least, more so than the USUAL, for Internet Exploder).
Judebert
---
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

YellowLed, your problem may be similar to the one about the comment section sidebar. I tried outlining your divs, and it looks like they're REALLY close. Just 1px overlap would do the job, though.
Judebert
---
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:YellowLed, your problem may be similar to the one about the comment section sidebar. I tried outlining your divs, and it looks like they're REALLY close. Just 1px overlap would do the job, though.
Jude, I'm sorry - I'm lost. -vvv, please.

Take your time though, I do expect that this is an issue with your IE or a batch of IEs - as I said it looks fine in mine, although I don't have the exact version number on me right now.