Serendipity v3.0 template updated to css only - testers need

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)

Do you like this new version?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 pm

very much
25%
very much
25%
yes, but it needs work
25%
yes, but it needs work
25%
huh, I don't understand
No votes
huh, I don't understand
No votes

Total votes: 8

yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:YellowLed, this looks good.

I've made the changes and this is the result in IE.

But this change does not work for the caramel theme, right?
Actually, it does. Well, at least it does in Firefox :)

Please give it a try, I can't think of any reason why it should not work. Actually, the sliding faux columns (which is the technique which gives the sidebars their background color) cover the fact that the right sidebar is less wide. (That sentence sounds really wrong. Excuse me, just got off work :))

Oh, wait. I can think of reasons. Have you already tested this with just one sidebar?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:The only reason that I can think why it isn't working in caramel is the % margin and padding in the sidebar item and content. Caramel colorset is the only one that uses %, so maybe we need to play with that as well.
*sigh* I knew this was gonna haunt me some day ... see, I had this dream of a theme that is not only tableless but also without any absolute values ... guess there it goes ... :(
carl_galloway wrote:Yellowled, I think you've just announced yourself to the community as a template designer... won't be long before other users start expecting more themes from you ;)
Erm ... sure, using my patented trial-and-error-and-let-other-people-debug-it-method I'll revolutionize template design offhand :lol:

As a matter of fact, I want to do some new themes once this one is ready for our users, but I simply want a solid framework to work with first :)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Yellowled, you foolish man, you must know that template design is all about getting other people to find the problems, then you frantically run around in circles to fix the problem, but in the mean time the user has changed template for one they like better anyway :D

Good work fixing the problem, now I guess we can get Garvin do his testing while we get the documentation organised. Phew!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:Good work fixing the problem, now I guess we can get Garvin do his testing while we get the documentation organised. Phew!
Let's hold our breaths until Harald has tested Caramel.

So, thread summary. What do we have on our todo-list? Change right sidebar width to 19%, use non-% values for sidebar padding/margin in Caramel (probably; hopefully that also makes the calendar look right), see if the sidebar boxes now look okay in Caramel/IE, set .serendipitySideBarTitle to 95% (as Dave reported), ... how about the plugin which folded sidebar items?
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

carl_galloway wrote:Yellowled, you foolish man, you must know that template design is all about getting other people to find the problems, then you frantically run around in circles to fix the problem, but in the mean time the user has changed template for one they like better anyway :D
I only switched temporary ;) I wait for your release version and will use your 3.1 or maybe ceejay01 if it sometimes comes with a 3 column design ;)
YellowLed wrote: Let's hold our breaths until Harald has tested Caramel.
Oh, can i test it? I haven't found the "#serendipityRightSideBar" into the caramel.css so i wasn't able to test it with the recommended changes. Is the string somewhere else? What do i have to change in caramel.css to test it. I will then test it, because i now understood how template designing works ;) (carl explained, that i/others do all the work and you just change some colors) :)

Regards, Harald
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Harald, ceejay01 wil be avail in 3column soon, maybe a couple of weeks. The blogger version is going live today. Starting to get a few Bloggers visiting my site and a few have even converted over to s9y which is awesome, in fact a few are probably reading this thread as we type, GreetZ to the former Bloggers.

As for serendipity3.1, Please do let us know how it works on your end, we really want to wrap this up and get it committed so everyone can enjoy the benefits of css only design. I personally plan to remove tables completely from all of my templates by the end of the year and then I plan to update the old Mt templates to css only designs as well.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:Oh, can i test it? I haven't found the "#serendipityRightSideBar" into the caramel.css so i wasn't able to test it with the recommended changes. Is the string somewhere else? What do i have to change in caramel.css to test it. I will then test it, because i now understood how template designing works ;) (carl explained, that i/others do all the work and you just change some colors) :)
Of course you can :) I almost insist that you do, since you're the one who came up with all these nasty looking screenshots :wink: Seriously - it would be a great help if you could test it now. I hereby declare you to be our favourite beta tester :)

It's pretty simple: There's one sort of 'basic' stylesheet for the theme, and there are three extra stylesheets for the colorsets. The 'basic' stylesheet (style.css) covers, well, everything whereas the colorset stylesheets only hold the changes in that respective colorset. So if you don't find something in the stylesheet for the colorset that means that this particular value is taken from style.css.

Here's the code again (from style.css):

Code: Select all

/* right sidebar */
#serendipityRightSideBar {
   float: left;
   margin-top:10px;
   width: 19%; /* EDIT */}
So the only thing that needs to be edited is the width (from 20% to 19%).
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

YellowLed wrote: I hereby declare you to be our favourite beta tester :)
Great! Finally i did it ;) Just to make sure i understood everything: I have changed the style.css as you mentioned the post before and the default colorset works on FF and IE. But if i switch to caramel the result looks like this. No right sidebar and somehow too big boxes. I just touched the style.css. Nothing more to change, right?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I made all the changes to my version and thoroughly tested it on IE, the resizing problem is gone, but the calendar still causes problems. I haven't managed to replicate Haralds latest fault.
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

carl_galloway wrote:I made all the changes to my version and thoroughly tested it on IE, the resizing problem is gone, but the calendar still causes problems. I haven't managed to replicate Haralds latest fault.
Can i download your latest release? I can test it myself to see if the problem is still there.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

carl_galloway wrote:I haven't managed to replicate Haralds latest fault.
I can't help it - I think our favourite beta tester[tm] has a very weird IE on his local machine :wink:
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

YellowLed wrote:
carl_galloway wrote:I haven't managed to replicate Haralds latest fault.
I can't help it - I think our favourite beta tester[tm] has a very weird IE on his local machine :wink:
:) No, i asked my friend to check the caramel theme and he also sees the same ;) But i also wonder, why i am the only one with this problem. Am i the only guy with IE and this theme?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Harald Weingaertner wrote:But i also wonder, why i am the only one with this problem. Am i the only guy with IE and this theme?
It is definitely weird. I've been ignoring IE for quite some time, so I'm just now catching up on all those css bugs and flaws it has (and, gee, there's a lot of 'em ...)

Are you and your friend using exactly the same IE version? (Which leads to the inevitable question whether Carl uses the same version, since he can not reproduce it.) Any 'special' settings? (One of your screenshots looked like fullscreen mode ..?)

Another possibility would be that you're using some sidebar plugin which we have not covered that messes things up.
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

YellowLed wrote: Are you and your friend using exactly the same IE version? (Which leads to the inevitable question whether Carl uses the same version, since he can not reproduce it.) Any 'special' settings? (One of your screenshots looked like fullscreen mode ..?)

Another possibility would be that you're using some sidebar plugin which we have not covered that messes things up.
Well, we tried IE6 and IE7 and another visitor with IE on a MAC told me, that i should work on the template, because it looks broken ;) I also tried it with only the search box on the right and the login box on the left side and it looked broken. I will update another blog to 1.1 today and will test it again with only one html nugget left and one nugget right. I'll be back with another screenshot then.

The screens are just fullscreen to show as much as possible.

Harald
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Sorry, no screenshot, but you can believe, that i had the same mistake with only one HTML nugget left and one HTML nugget right :(