Cant find the place to alter the red colored text in sidebar

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
MichaelParent
Regular

Cant find the place to alter the red colored text in sidebar

Post by MichaelParent »

Hi everyone.

I'm working on my new blog site and am very new at this. Thanks to Garvin's help, I've been able make most of the customizations I wanted. For some reason, though, I cant figure out this simple problem. I've changed almost all of the colors for the background and text, but I can't find what to change to change the color of the red text in my sidebars! ;)
specifically in the polls and "popular entries" What am I missing?

see here:
http://www.bestsharewaregames.com/serendipity

thanks
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

try following (after a file-backup ;) ):

1. search for

Code: Select all

h3 {...}
in ya css and add some

color: #00ff00;
between {...}

or 2. find .serendipitySideBarTitle in your css and add the 'color: #...' here

>>> this should take some effect to both headlines.

the poll-font:

if not allready there, add following to the css:

#serendipity_poll_showform {
  color: #...
}
(further tags to format those things of course possible ;) )

the number-of-entries-font:

find

div.serendipitySideBarDate {...}
or, also possible, find

.serendipitySideBarDate {...}
and do some color-tricks there :)

hope that's what you're searching for :)

eh, just a small info: your blog is.... errr... eh... a little de-placed? the whole content, except the header, is not centered - its on the right side and i've to scroll to see it complete - that's what i see at 1024x768, maybe you should know this :)

have fun!
the island of stupid - come to where the monkey is...
MichaelParent
Regular

thanks for the help :)

Post by MichaelParent »

Hi SPH,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The code you suggested:

#serendipity_poll_showform {
color: #...
}

worked quite well to get rid of most of the red text in the poll, however, the text ("Does this work?") in the poll is still red. :(

Also, nothing I've tried has allowed me to change the numbers in the Popular entries plugin to be anything but red. :(

Any other suggestions?

PS. I set my monitor to 1024x768 and my blog was still centered with no horizomtal scrolling necessary....at least on my computer using internet explorer... What software are you using? And do you have any Idea how I would fix it so it looks right for you as well?

Thanks again for your help :)
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

hi again!

hm. damn. that's not really what i expected :)
so, i'm now viewing your page and it seems that there are no changes at all... o0
forgive me the question, but - you are changing the style in the .css in the correct template-folder, are you? *g*

is there nowhere the color '#800000' specified? maybe you should have a look at both .css-files, the one in the template-folder you use and the one in the default-template-folder. just to be sure.

i know what you mean, this color isn't really good to read at the dark-blue background... hmmm....

look for

#serendipityRightSideBar
or add it, if necessary, and try some color there...

if this doesn't work, can you give me the .css-file? maybe as a .txt? download it, rename it as a txt, put it on your webspace again and post the link here - maybe this will help to find what's wrong.

log in your admin panel and check what style you use, so that the template-folder / the file is the correct ;)

i'm sure about one thing: there IS a way to change this red ;)

eh, the wrong-orientation-behaviour: it's not really a lot to do, i guess :)

i'm using the actual version of the firefox-browser, having 1024x768 as i said.

i think it's simple: ther's a navigation-line in your header, right?

well, and there is a width-limit for these line, maybe in your template-folder, maybe in your css. and the text there is too big to fit in this one line, so there is a linebreak, and the last two links are shown in a new line - and the blog begins AFTER that links, that's why the content is at the right side.

by the way, this image in your right sidebar is faar to big *g*

well, lots of words, here are some screenshots:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/131/screeny8xl.jpg
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8597/screeny22sg.jpg
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/813/screeny36lc.jpg

/* eh, the red-colored text is really ugly - i just saved the screenshot-bmp as a .jpg, without any compression... can anybody tell me what happened here..? o0
*/

so, well, what to do:

you can try to use a smaller navigation font.
or, in your header, you can use something like <br /> just after the navigation-bar, i think something like this would be enough :)

at least, i hope it ;)

greezs, have fun and: good luck! ;)
MichaelParent
Regular

Getting rid of the ugly red text

Post by MichaelParent »

Thanks for the screenshots. This will help me alot. It's interresting. Internet explorer reacts to the smaller screensize much better. :( I'll definately take some steps to make sure it doesn't look like this in firefox browsers. I'll keep you updated.

As for the red text...I was a bad boy and actually am using the default template that I have modified quite a bit. But I do know for sure I'm changing the right style.css

Thanks for the offer to take a look at the actual code, I'll definately take you up on that if I cant figure it out soon. :)

ps. Dont worry about the giant banner on the side. Thats a simptom of my messing with my adserver program. Definately not part of the design ;)

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to do anything for several hours today, but I'll give you an update then. Thanks alot :)
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

:)

okay, so i'll keep watching this forum :)

good luck, hope you finally can ban this color from your blog! ;)

nice weekend!
MichaelParent
Regular

GOT IT!

Post by MichaelParent »

I finally found what makes that text red!

p, td, th, div, span {
font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #f59a38;
}

thanks to the color line I added there, its the color I want now :)

In regards to the page going bad on lower-res screens in firefox, I was wondering if there is a way to check to see what the resolution of the screen is and change the font size on the fly to adjuct accorningly.

Anyone have any ideas? Thats the only real solution I can think of while maintaining the desired design.

thanks again
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: GOT IT!

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Michael!

There are javascript examples on the web that query the width/height of a browser window.

But you should not get into this, using a fluid CSS design would be much better instead of a javascript-resolution check and different outputs...

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
MichaelParent
Regular

hey Garvin :)

Post by MichaelParent »

Thanks for the information and input. I think I found a design solution that at least accomidates the 1040 resolution much better in firefox, but I can't check what Firefox will do if i shrink the window even more until i get to work monday. :)

I agree with you, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible in regards to the code.
sph
Regular

Post by sph »

hey, me again :)

so, just a short view:

- site is perfect shown now. centered, readable, great! congtrats! :)

- this 'leaderboard'-banner at the bottom isn't in the middle :(
its right-orientated and i have to scroll a little to see it complete. seems to be the only 'bug' now, but i guess you'll manage this ;)

- you found the css for the red, eh? great! but, i don't get this, it's just that i want to understand: do you want to change this red everywhere? or just in some parts? or... nowhere? o.0

what about the orange and light-blue colored font? hmmm, cant actually say what fits better together... well, i'd love to see this blog finished - not only for design-purposes, the content sounds interresting, too ;)

/* some thoughts now */

maybe this helps:

if you want to see what your website looks like in smaller windows, just use a smaller window! :)

don't view it fullscreen all the time. resize your browser window, make it very small, make it thin and long, make it short and wide - your website will be shown "on the fly" as it will be seen on this window-size, which could be the resolution, too.

you'll see where some linebreaks occur, where some images will be placed, where you have to scroll and where not... such things ;)

it's nearly impossible to create a website which looks perfekt in every browser on every screen-resolution, but at least we can try.

i "only" have 1024x768, but i'm not browsing fullscreen all the time. and according to your blog: if i resize the window in the width, there is this linebreak again, which moves the content to the right ;)

but i guess this is not the most important thing by now, as i said, it's great at fullscreen, and maybe you'l have some time soon to get trough this finetuning-things ;)

/* end of some thoughts */

nice sunday @ all, greets!
MichaelParent
Regular

thanks for the input :)

Post by MichaelParent »

I too look forward to seeing the finished design, as I'm letting it evolve as I go ;)

I did get rid of the red everywhere I can see as of now...the orange is there by choice...we'll see if it stays...still feeling out my desired color-scheme.

Unfortuntately, I DO check it at lower screen resolutions and by shrinking the window. BUT I only use Internet explorer. (I don't have firefox installed), and internet explorer does keep the leaderboard banner centered no matter what I do. :( I may have to install firefox here at home to expedite the troubleshooting. ;)

Thanks for the useful information once again :) I'm not sure how I'm going to fix the non-centered leaderboard... I though I had ;) Any suggestions?