Andreas Viklund announces andreas06 for Serendipity

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
carl_galloway
Regular

Andreas Viklund announces andreas06 for Serendipity

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi all,

just a heads up to let you all know that Andreas Viklund has very kindly announced my version of andreas06 and of course Serendipity to his community of readers (mostly wordpress and blogger users). This is a very special moment for me because Andreas' blog is currently one of the most popular blogs in the entire blogosphere and is a sign of the respect that others have of our collective efforts to make Serendipity a mainstream blog platform.

If anyone would like to let Andreas know that his work is appreciated outside of Wordpress now would be the time. Also, Andreas is organising an open source template design competition so if anyone from the Serendipity world would like to make a contribution bookmark his site and get your designs ready. I'll be competing, and this would be a good time to show the world that Serendipity users and theme designers are up there with the best.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive of my theming efforts, I really appreciate your kind words.

Carl
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

a niiiice port of theme (congrats carl!) and good news for serendipity community. i would like to see more good themes from wordpress ported to serendipity. i also would like to see some more themes native for serendipity. a big base of themes, where anybody can find something that suits his needs, that would be a VERY good thing for making serendipity more popular.

man, i would really like to see hemingway theme ported to serendipity. it's too hard for me to even try to port it or make something similiar (i tried without success :/) but it's an ass kicking theme!
"everything is under control" - kasparov demo
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Costa, thanks mate, actually both my andreasviklund themes are native serendipity themes because they were converted from the oswd html source template, so I'm especially pleased when someone likes one of them.

As for hemingway, I've been dabbling with WP 2.0 themes, and have successfully coded a serendipity theme that mimics the pages from cinila.com (which is itself an enhancement of the WP k2 theme) but it is very ugly and I don't want to show it off yet. I've also converted the comments page to tableless design (works with no crossbrowser issues) and placed the comments form over to the right like so many of the new WP themes seem to do, so making a serendipity version of hemingway shouldn't be too difficult.
Ianardo
Regular

Post by Ianardo »

I've not seen the Cinila style of theme before.
Very interesting - I can think of loads of uses for that sort of template.
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

carl: personally i don't like comments placed somewhere else than under all comments listing. why? because it's a logical place to search for a form to place your own comment. i've seen and actually used this kind of commenting and it's frustrating (for me :)) to go down the page to read all the comments and then scrolling up to find comment form somewhere on the right or left. ok, it's only my opinion, nothing more. i also see this tension to separate comments form from comments. strange for me but people actually don't bother with it.

as for hemingway theme - i see a LOT of smarty (and propably not only smarty) coding here. something that goes far beyond my possibilities. maybe you'll try to fight with something similiar. i liked this theme a lot because it offers a very unique way of showing entries and presents something i call "modern" look of blogging. you know what i mean? a step aside from well known "sidebar/content/sidebar" concept of blogging. it automatically makes the page interesting just because of first impression. with some nice colours this theme (or something similiar in concept) could make serendipity even more interesting to play with.

anyway, i'm really curious about your new ideas and their implementation. i liked very much this little navigation bar placed above entries in andreas06. there is no turning back carl, you owe us some new themes, even better than previous ones ;)

keep'em coming mister!
"everything is under control" - kasparov demo