Tutorial - porting wordpress dusk to serendipity

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
carl_galloway
Regular

Tutorial - porting wordpress dusk to serendipity

Post by carl_galloway »

The first article in this series is now available to read. I have also included a zipfile of part one. The structure of this theme can now be considered ported, next step is to make it pretty and play nice with serendipity.

Carl
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Part two has been published at my site

I had intended customising the theme, but ended up writing an explanation of the index.tpl and its smarty code. I welcome comments or observatons from other users. Feel free to share your own experiences so that this article can become a reference point for the index template file. Perhaps this could then form the basis of a wiki entry. Core developers, plugin developers and infrequent developers should all feel free to correct my technical explanation if required.

Carl
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Part three has now been published. Matthias has already offered to translate this into German, and I am still looking for translators for other languages. Any language supported by Serendipity will be considered.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Part 4 has been published. This is the most exciting tutorial in the series, linear and threaded comments look very different, linear using an ordered list like the original WP theme, while threaded comments now have three tiers with different styling. Also, the comment and trackback titles have been re-written. A zipfile with the new comments.tpl is avail to download. Enjoy,

Carl
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Part five has been published. This covers the sidebar.

The entire theme is now complete on my side, just going through some final testing so expect the tutorial series to be completed in the next couple of days, along with the release of the theme which I hope will be ready for spartacus at the same time.
carl_galloway
Regular

Dusk Theme released for Serendipity

Post by carl_galloway »

Part 6 has been published. This tidies up the theme and makes it possible to use it as a completely ported theme for serendipity. Feel free to download the theme from this page and use it on your own blogs.

I haven't tidied up the stylesheet on this theme, and frankly it looks quite messy, but this is intentional so that users who have been following the tutorials can see exactly what changes have been made. I would like to have this theme added to Spartacus, and the link in the footer goes to part one of the tutorials so I don't see the incomplete stylesheet being a problem.