Difference (other than version) between HTML & HTML5?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
thh
Regular

Re: Difference (other than version) between HTML & HTML5?

Post by thh »

TokiyoRio wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 amI want to start studying HTML + CSS, but I can't seem to pin down which to learn. Basic HTML or HTML5. I know its a version difference, but if I learn HTML5, will that essentially teach me what I need to know from HTML?
I don't think there is something like "basic HTML" opposed to HTML5. HTML5 is the current version of the HTML standard, and it makes sense to learn it if you start now, instead of learning older versions; every version of HTML has "basic" components and some more advanced ones.
TokiyoRio wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 amLike, I know Python 3.6 and it gives me a general knowledge of Python 2.X but obviously there are differences.
Yes, but would you start to learn Python 2.x now?
TokiyoRio wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 amSame with CSS, do I go study basic CSS or go for CSS3 ?
It's the same here; CSS 3 is the current version of CSS, and of course you should study that; and it has "basic" components and much more advanced ones.
TokiyoRio wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 amSorry if this has been asked a ton, tried to find it but didn't see anything.
That may be due to the fact that this board deals with the blog engine Serendipity - and here specifically the creation of templates for it - and not with general questions about HTML and CSS. :-)