Upgraded Brown Paper theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
HQJaTu

Upgraded Brown Paper theme

Post by HQJaTu »

I've been using Brown Paper theme since I first started blogging back in January 2013. Quite few of those years, I've been taking a page rank hit from Google given the poor responsiveness of my blog. Finally I had the time and motivation to do something about it.

My work is published in a Github fork https://github.com/HQJaTu/additional_th ... wnpaper-r2, branch brownpaper-r2. The theme contains minified Bootstrap 4.3.1 files to get the job of responsiveness done. I'm not sure if affixing the theme with R2 for revision 2 is a correct approach. It's just that I'm hesitant to overwrite the existing version.

A demo of this theme can be seen in my own blog at https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/. Given the production nature of my own blog, I'm very likely to maintain this theme for any bugs or improvements.

This R2-version does the intended job of passing Google's Mobile-Friendly Test. Also it does help all of my mobile readers by adapting to their screens much better than the old version.

If you think this would be a valuable addition to Spartacus, a PR can be done at Github.
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Upgraded Brown Paper theme

Post by Don Chambers »

Looks great!
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Updating old themes to work better is great!

I suggest not creating a brownpaper-r2, but rather replacing the old version with the new one. There is no need keeping the old one around. If yo usend in such a PR I'd merge it.

Be aware that spartacus does not update themes yet, it's missing that function. Later modifications will only reach new users (which is already a good thing though), until spartacus gets improved, which might actually be a nice project.
HQJaTu

Post by HQJaTu »

onli wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 pm I suggest not creating a brownpaper-r2, but rather replacing the old version with the new one. There is no need keeping the old one around. If yo usend in such a PR I'd merge it.

Be aware that spartacus does not update themes yet, it's missing that function. Later modifications will only reach new users (which is already a good thing though), until spartacus gets improved, which might actually be a nice project.
Thanks for the input. I will make the suggested change and NOT rename the theme. After that, expect a pull request.

Me personally am not in a hurry, I'm already running this. :-)
It's just that this community has given me so much and I would like to take this opportunity to return the favor. If this change will eventually be picked up, I'd be more than happy.
HQJaTu

Post by HQJaTu »

onli wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 pm I suggest not creating a brownpaper-r2, but rather replacing the old version with the new one. There is no need keeping the old one around. If yo usend in such a PR I'd merge it.
PR https://github.com/s9y/additional_themes/pull/3