Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
NeilW
Regular

Re: Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Post by NeilW »

Hi Fabien,

Just to clarify with the comments, are you not wanting to have the comments listed in date/time order beneath the post itself, as is normally done with most blogs, or do you still want to show them on a separate page?

As you have the comments at the moment on your blog in the sidebar, or if you had them on a separate page, it seems difficult to relate the comments to the actual post. Whereas, if the comments are below each post, it would be easier to understand which post the comments relate to.

Cheers,

- Neil
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

Hi Neil,

Of course, I want the comments to be listed beneath the post!

But, when somebody comments a post, how does a visitor of the blog knows that there is a new comment that she can read and reply. So, I use the comment plugin to show in the sidebar a list of the last comments. It's mandatory for me to keep this function.

Cheers, Fabien
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

Hi Fabien,

As with this s9y site, there should be the opportunity for a person to "subscribe" to the post, so that they are eMailed and advised of new comments.

Plus they are usually in date/time order, so it is not that hard for someone to pick up on comments on any particular post where they last left off.

I initially used the Disqus plug in, but then actually inbuilt Disqus natively, so that members of my site can use Disqus using their site Membership Log-in without having to log in twice to comment, or they can use their Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or actual Disqus accounts to log-in.

You can see how it looks on this page: http://mybusiness-mylife.com/global/pr/ ... -Soon!.php

You can see at the bottom left of the Disqus comment area Disqus has a link to allow you to subscribe to the post and receive updates.

Within the Clean Blog Page Options there is a "Yes/No" Option to "Show link to entry's comments".

I have mine set to "No" because I am happy with what I have.

There is no "Help" button for this function but either Don may explain how it works, or probably a bit of trial and error may give you an idea.

Cheers,

Neil
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Fabien wrote:For example, it seems to me necessary that a person visiting my blog can see the last comments posted. I don't see the function on the Clean Blog demo. I agree with Neil suggestion to put this information on a separate page. It's already what's done with the category list and the archive list. My question is only how to do that.
Comments for each post, or all recent comments?
=Don=
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

All recent comments: if somebody has added a comment to a very old post, how can the visitor discover it?
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

I have no solution ready. Just a thought: He can't, but that is normally not a problem. Did you analyse how many visitors use these sidebar widgets on your site? We know (or assume to know) that normally, things like that sidebar widget are not used at all, because the percentage of visitors that come to a blog to engage in discussions on old entries goes against 0.

Most people on blogs are there to read one specific entry and then they leave. Many people that come back do so via their feedreader. Those that come back and stay and engage and are interested in random comments, that should really be a unicorn in the dessert.

It of course depends on the blog. If that is a community of regular visitors that discusses frequently with each other, tings might be different.
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

"If that is a community of regular visitors that discusses frequently with each other, things might be different."
It's that sort of community.
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

I have to agree.

If someone is a regular on the site they can be advised of new comments by subscribing to the post.

If it is a new visitor, surely they would initially be more interested in the post itself rather than the comments.

Isn't it more important on that basis to be able to search the blog for particular key words, or to be able to scroll trough the headings of older posts.

A recent comment could just say something like, "Yep, it's taken me a lot of time, but that finally worked!"

Not a lot of value there unless you know, and have an interest in, exactly what the person was referring to.
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

Fabien wrote:"If that is a community of regular visitors that discusses frequently with each other, things might be different."
It's that sort of community.
Are you looking for a blog then, or a forum?

It seems that a blog may not be the right thing for that.
Fabien
Regular

Post by Fabien »

OK, so let us stop this discussion that is becoming useless for me and for the readers of this topic. I need something, I use it already, and it seems impossible with Clean Blog [i don't understand why become some sidebar plugins are already displayed on the main page (admin connection) or on others (archives)]. So I'll not use the theme despite it is so beautiful.
Fabien Chabreuil (blog)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

A blog can work for that as well, there are some big examples (I'd have to search). I hope you find a good technical solution. If the theme does not support sidebars, maybe it is really not the right foundation.
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

People are trying to help you here Fabien and are trying to get an exact hold of the best option to suit your needs.

Again, if you are totally set on a sidebar there is no reason why one cannot be incorporated into your page using Bootstrap and therefore be fully responsive.

It may not be fully consistent with the theme, but it can still be made to look good.

I have one or two pages on my Bootstrap site that uses sidebars, yet still gives you the full width hero image at the top of the page as Clean Blog does, and a full width footer if you want it. The same menu and sub menu set-up can be retained as well.

It would look exactly the same as the Clean Blog demo but with a sidebar next to the blog post as well.

And again, it is all within the .css and .tpl.

Anyway, I will bow out from here leaving you in the good hands of Don and Onli.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I have another bootstrap based theme for serendipity in development. It is probably 95% complete, I just have not had time to complete it. That theme does have a sidebar.... and a footer bar! I'll try to find time to finish that theme in the coming weeks.
=Don=
sternchen
Regular

Post by sternchen »

I'm still very happy with the Clean Blog Theme, thanks.

Now I would like to highlight links in Blog posts as links. At the moment, unless with mouseover, links have the same look as the rest of the text. I would like to change the color or underline them. But I just can't find the specific css option.

It would be very helpful if someone can show me a way. Thank you so much!
robert
Regular

Post by robert »

Hi Don,

Since yesterday I use this theme in my blog and I’m very happy.

Thank you very much for your work.