Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Clean Blog - a fully responsive, mobile 1st s9y theme

Post by Don Chambers »

u1amo01 wrote:I have put an empty user.css (just with comments) into the clean-blog directory and search looks fine.
Awesome. Looks great!
u1amo01 wrote:Also installed the nl2br plugin, problem solved. Sorry for that. :oops:
You will no longer need that plugin after s9y 2.0.2 is released. This theme will also be included in that release (hopefully).
u1amo01 wrote:
Don Chambers wrote: I don't see any value in providing a link directly to the comment form on an overview page for this theme. Why would anyone jump directly to the comment form without first reading the entry?
Maybe a question of my english language abilities. When clean-blog is configured the way I have it now (shows full entries instead of 70 signs --> see http://u1amo01.de/blog ), then I think it's difficult for a reader to find out, how he can write a comment. Hope it's understandable now :-)
Nothing wrong with your english! :wink:

This theme can be configured in two different ways regarding overview pages. For clarification, by overview pages, I mean anything other than a single entry view. The options are:

1) show only the entry title and subtitle (or first 70 characters of an entry in lieu of a subtitle), or
2) also show the entry BODY.

This theme's original concept was to only show the first option above. Following input I received from other developers, I added the option to also show entry body on overview pages. I personally believe this theme looks best using the first option above.

Entries have two possible components: entry body, and entry extended body. It is my personal opinion that entries should always be written using both body and extended body. Body should be an introduction to your entry, and extended body is the "meat" of your entry.

I have temporarily configured the clean blog demo as you have configured your site - that is, to show the entry body in addition to the title and subtitle. Each of my sample entries uses both entry body, and extended body. When the theme is configured to show entry body, you will see a "read more" button that links to the full, single entry view which also includes comments (if any) and the comment form. This is how I feel entries should always work - show the visitor the entire entry, comments, then an opportunity for the visitor to add their own comment.

Having said all this, I will think about adding a comment link option. 8)
=Don=
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Don Chambers wrote: Entries have two possible components: entry body, and entry extended body. It is my personal opinion that entries should always be written using both body and extended body. Body should be an introduction to your entry, and extended body is the "meat" of your entry.
Hmm. I read most blogs with feedreader. As far as I know Text in extended body is not shown in the feed. So I have to open the blog to read the rest. For myself I find this disturbing; so I rarely use extended body, as example for blog entries with a lot of photographs. Or when I write about a film and there are spoilers.
Having said all this, I will think about adding a comment link option. 8)
Thanks :-) I think I could add this myself, just need some time for it.
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

One more typo in section "Read me" - "Liesmich"
wrong: "Zusaätzlich"
correct: "Zusätzlich"
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Thanks - I'll add it to the list.
=Don=
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

Hi,

I have installed Clean Blog theme on my blog and with a few adjustments it is working fine - virtually made it an embedded theme by commenting out the main bootstrap menu code because it was over-riding my own bootstrap main menu.

The only problem is, that when I enter the admin backend all the formatting for the backend screens is missing - it is as though it is no longer picking up the backend template/css.

I originally had the 2k11 Theme installed then installed Clean Blog.

2k11 is still showing as the backend theme in the admin panel, but it is just not rendering when I enter the admin areas.

Is this normal when you install a theme that is only a front end theme with no associated backend theme?

I have 4 installations of s9y on my site for 3 separate blogs within member only pages and one that I am now installing as a News page in the public area of the site here http://mybusiness-mylife.com/global/pr/content.php.

If you view the source code you will see what I have commented out.

The backend for that was rendering correctly but a soon as I commented out the main menu in the Clean Blog index.tpl, so it is not over-riding the site menu, the formatting for the backend was lost.

So could you please clarify why would commenting out some of the Clean Blog code in the Clean Blog index.tpl seem to affect the backend admin formatting which apparently uses a totally different template?

Thanks kindly,

-Neil
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

NeilW wrote:Is this normal when you install a theme that is only a front end theme with no associated backend theme?
Of course not.
NeilW wrote:The backend for that was rendering correctly but a soon as I commented out the main menu in the Clean Blog index.tpl, so it is not over-riding the site menu, the formatting for the backend was lost.
I would assume that you did not comment out properly, thus leaving an open <div> unclosed or something like that. It's not really easy to tell from view:source if that's the case. Could you please provide a copy of the index.tpl so we can see what you commented out how?
NeilW wrote:So could you please clarify why would commenting out some of the Clean Blog code in the Clean Blog index.tpl seem to affect the backend admin formatting which apparently uses a totally different template?
It's possible that commenting things out did leave a <div> open or something like that.

The real interesting question here is why does editing your frontend theme's index.tpl affect your backend? Are you sure you edited the proper index.tpl file?

YL
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

Hi YL,

Thank you for your response.
yellowled wrote:Are you sure you edited the proper index.tpl file?
I would believe so - there is only one index.tpl file within the Clean Blog directory and changing that did the job that I wanted it to.

I have also named the page that I have embedded the blog into as content.php in the main Serendipity directory so that I did not overwrite Serendipity's index.php
yellowled wrote:The real interesting question here is why does editing your frontend theme's index.tpl affect your backend?
I fully agree, even if I had left an open <div> in the index.tpl file my thoughts are that would only affect how that page is rendering, not the back-end.

I presume that there is nothing in the index.tpl file that even links through to the backend other than on line #231 there is a get file link to "js/clean-blog.min.js" which I have not looked at or touched but on that line the closing </script> tag does not render correctly in my text editor. (Showing in black text rather than blue)

But I am wondering if that js link relates to anything to do with the backend in any way and that there is something with the link or the js that is not working?

There is also an edit I did of an "IF" statement on line #127 that is a bit sloppy, but again the line within it that I commented out has nothing to do with the backend.

In the Admin control panel the backend is showing as 2k11 and the 2k11 folder is in my Templates directory. But while the image for 2k11 is showing in the Admin control panel it seems that it is not linking through to the template itself so that it can pick up the formatting.

But again, how editing the Clean Blog index.tpl would possibly "break" that link has me tossed.

As suggested, I have attached a copy of the commented index.tpl file. The line numbers that I refer to above relate to this file.

So hopefully there is something there that you can see with your knowledge that I can't see as a newbie or you have more knowledge in relation to the format and purpose of the "js/clean-blog.min.js" link that may provide an answer to the problem.

Thank you again for your assistance.

- Neil

FOOTNOTE: Well, I tried to upload the index.tpl file and got the message "The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector." :(

Changed the file type to .txt but still got the same problem, so could you also please suggest a work around to that so that I can include a copy?
TY - NW
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

OK, So I have tracked down the problem with the backend not rendering correctly, but it now creates another problem.

As previously thought it seems to have nothing to do with the editing of the index.tpl page.

As mentioned in the above post, the page that I have embedded the blog into is named "content.php". It is sitting in my main serendipity directory (named "pr") with all the other installed serendipity files and directories.

I named the file "content.php" so that uploading it would not overwrite the installed serendipity "index.php".

Under the "paths" tab in the Administration suite, the name of the index file was "index.php".

While that path is "index.php", the Administration suite renders correctly - so I no longer have that problem.

But when it is named "index.php" and I attempt to open my "content.php" page, I get the error "Error 404 - The page you requested could not be found."

So when I change the path in the Administration suite from "index.php" to "content.php" I no longer get the 404 error when I open my "content.php" page, but loose the formatting of the Administration suite.

So I am caught in a bit of a bind here. Either I get a 404 error on my blog page or the Administration suite does not render correctly.

So the question now is, how do I set things up so the Administration suite renders correctly and I do not get a 404 error on my blog page?

Thanks again,

- Neil
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Sorry, I know next to nothing about embedded use of s9y (which I believe is what you try to do here). I'm glad it's not some weird bug in out template fallback chain, though (which one could have suspected from your original post).

Unless someone who does picks up on this over the next few days, I would suggest opening up a fresh thread with your recent findings in the Installation subforum. It might get overlooked buried in the themes forum here (some people don't read all subforums).

YL
NeilW
Regular

Post by NeilW »

I am glad that it is not the Clean Blog template too YL as it is very slick and I like it.

But I agree, I will start a new thread elsewhere, however thank you once again for your assistance to date - much appreciated.
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

Hello, i have a question.

To create a FIRST comment you need to click on top of an article the small sign with the bubble, right?

Without any comment i do not see a form below an article to comment direct above an article. This form only shows if i use the "bubble" image on top of the article to comment. After one comment is done, i can see the comment form also under my article. Also if i delete the first comment, the form is shown below my article.

I hope you understand what i mean.

For some users it may be difficuilt to find the "comment bubble" on top. I would like to have the comment form shown also if there isn't a first comment.

Or is this a problem with my settings?

Best regards, Harald
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

As with any serendipity theme, the full comment form shows when you are viewing the entire entry regardless of the number of comments unless the author has prevented comments for that specific entry.

Using the cleanblog demo as an example:

This entry does not allow further comments, and the comment form is not shown.

This entry does allow comments, and the comment form is shown below existing comments.

The "comment bubble" was not actually part of the original design, and is not shown in the demo. That was added as a theme option at the request of cleanblog theme user.
=Don=
Harald Weingaertner
Regular

Post by Harald Weingaertner »

Thank you Don.

I would swear, that i worked with the entire entry yesterday, but you are right. When viewing the entire entry the comment form is there. Don't know, what i did yesterday.

Please allow another question: I have this line in in clean blog INDEX.TPL:

{* BOOTSTRAP CORE CSS *}
<link href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.2/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">
{* S9Y CSS *}

Is it correct, that the link is without "http:"? (Line 22-24)

Also in line 227: <script src="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.2/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>

Best regards, Harald

PS: Many thanks for this great template!
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

It is fine the way it is written, but if it makes you more comfortable, you can add http. :wink:
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Don’t do that if you maybe later want to change to https for your site. // means "use http or https deepening on what the current site uses", as resources loaded over http would be blocked when being on a https site.