New Theme: bartleby, a text theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
onli
Regular

New Theme: bartleby, a text theme

Post by onli »

Bartleby is a theme I designed for normal blogs (instead of for photo-blogs like the last one). It is meant to look lightweight, to use whitespace instead of boxes, has integrated webfonts (fira-sans or vollkorn for text, Alegreya for citations, Latin Modern Mono for code) and syntax highlighting, the sidebar becomes a footer. 2k11s templates are again the fallback for many things.

I already showed it a while ago in an article in my blog, but since it was idling since I thought it was time to continue here. It might be something for spartacus.

Please have a look and test it out, there is a Demo.
Attachments
bartleby-0.1.1.tar.gz
(130.79 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
yellowled
Regular

Re: New Theme: bartleby, a text theme

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:It might be something for spartacus.
This should at least be on Spartacus. (If you consider it “done”, of course.)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I definitely like clean themes. You still might consider a border around the search input box just to better identify what it is. The comment form uses borders on its inputs, so it would be consistent.

My normal monitor has a resolution of 1920px wide. This theme sets body to 70%, then sets .serendipity_entry_body and .serendipity_entry header to a max-width of 35em. The trackback and comments sections, and the page footer (sidebar) have no such width limitation, so they could get quite wide relative to the entry body. Is that extra space to the right of the entries intended to hold something that the demo does not show? Other than that question, I like it.
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thanks for the feedback!
Don Chambers wrote: You still might consider a border around the search input box just to better identify what it is. The comment form uses borders on its inputs, so it would be consistent.
Not so easy sadly. The comment form inputs simply have no border set, if I see that right, so they are following the browser. That looks not at all nice for the search form. But to have a good design there that works in more than one browsers is not as easy as I'd like.
But I'm not too happy with how that is right now as well.

I completely missed the max-width for the comments. Each comment is not supposed to be larger than 35em. Good catch, I'll fix that.
Don Chambers wrote:Is that extra space to the right of the entries intended to hold something that the demo does not show?
No. 35-40em are a sane max-width for text. That is part of the concept: Have the text in a redable font in a readable size with a good width, and not have any fluff around it. On small displays the body will jump to 90% width.
yellowled wrote:This should at least be on Spartacus. (If you consider it “done”, of course.)
I'll upload it after giving some more time for comments :) (since spartacus doesn't update themes)
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Great! More <strike>COOKIES</strike>Themes :)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Some quick observations since I downloaded it:

I really like the font.

Use some plugins that emit a lot of content in your footer sidebar... As each sidebar item has no specific width, plugins that emit a lot of content really wreak havoc on the layout.

The entry footer is not constrained to the same width as entry body, so a long list of categories or tags can lead to the footer extending up to the full page width. Then below the entry footer, the comments and trackbacks are limited in width like the entry body.

The edit entry link is preceeded by a |, probably from when it was previously located after something else. Now it exists on its own line, so that | is pretty meaningless.
=Don=
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Couple of questions.. What purpose do these serve in your config:

Code: Select all

$serendipity['smarty']->assign('is_templatechooser', $_SESSION['serendipityUseTemplate']);

Code: Select all

if ($_SESSION['serendipityUseTemplate']) {
    $template_loaded_config['use_corenav'] = false;
}
I know 2k11 has the required fields in there too, but could someone give me an idea of why that is added to a template?
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thanks Don, I really appreciate you testing that. The entry footer and the | before edit I sure want to fix. Not sure about the footer items though, but maybe they should have a max-width as well.
Couple of questions.. What purpose do these serve in your config:
I don't know. It's quite possible I just copied that over from 2k11.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:I know 2k11 has the required fields in there too, but could someone give me an idea of why that is added to a template?
https://github.com/s9y/Serendipity/comm ... f82217f1a9
This makes 2k11 always suppress the core nav if template chooser plugin is installed.
I highly doubt that this is code that I came up with, although I commited it. Apparently, I got the code from Garvin. Seems to be related to a bug in the template chooser plugin.

YL