Photo: A theme for image-heavy blogs

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
onli
Regular

Photo: A theme for image-heavy blogs

Post by onli »

I built a theme for s9y. It features:
  • images linked with blog-posts and shown for them in overview pages
  • lazyload of images
  • a slider for sticky entries
  • integrated magnific lightbox
  • Webfonts
  • A dark and a bright variant
  • Of course a html5 codebase
  • some more stuff I forgot
It builds upon 2k11, but is of course quite different by now already.

If I get the ok, I would like to add it to spartacus. Edit: Done

German Introduction: https://onli-blogging.de/1402/Ein-Foto- ... photo.html
Demoblog: https://onli.columba.uberspace.de/s9y/
Screenshot: Image

Download: photo.tar.gz
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Photo: A theme for image-heavy blogs

Post by garvinhicking »

I'd love to have that in spartacus, you have my go obviously :) Thanks for contributing, IMO this is a great platform to build unique photoblogs onto!
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thank you!

I uploaded it to spartacus: https://github.com/s9y/additional_theme ... 00504c6401
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Awesome!
=Don=
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Great Malte! Well done. Some like that was really missing for S9y and btw its so good to have such an extended groundwork theme like 2k11 for starting into something different like this.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Yes, 2k11 was a great help. It is really nice to be able to fallback to templates that can stay like they are, apart from the necessary changes for the specifics of the theme itself. Wish I had that for my blog at the time when I was reworking codeschmiede.

And thanks :)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Finally, someone used the damn thing (2k11) to build a new theme out of it. :wink: I hope people make use of that donation link, because from what I saw in a few quick glances, you earned it. :)

YL
robert
Regular

Post by robert »

Many thanks for this contribution to S9y!!! :)
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Wunderbar!

I like it!

The detailed feature side comment I like too. It allowes to use numbers for paragraphs.

Perhaps people, who work in the law branch are your target group for raising donations. Courts use to put those numbers at the side of every paragraph of their description of their decisions. It makes it much easier to quote special parts and find them. I am sure, there are other branches/sciences, which use those numbers.

2 questions:

a) Is it possible for the user to adjust the margins between the pictures vertically and horizontally? Or, if not yet, what do you think about that?

b) What about opportunities for integration into another s9y-blog. My idea is an integration of a picture in the entry like it is possible with Youtube-Videos.

Maybe it could be made possible to integrate a slider with pictures from the photoblog (from one folder there) into another s9y-blog?

And how it would look like, if you take the link of an entry with several pics and put it in your facebook-stream and Google+ stream? Would it work to have the choice between all picutres of the blog entry (or only the first 3, what I had explored today with my blog post with more than 4 pics in one entry)?

Thank you, Onli!

So, I have to wait yet a while to make use of this template.
ICE
Regular

Post by ICE »

Very good ... but: "Bedingung nicht erfüllt: Serendipity 2.0" ... :(

Now i have to wait for the final 2.0 (this year? :mrgreen: ) ... :cry:
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

ICE wrote:Now i have to wait for the final 2.0
Technically, no. You could install the 2.0-beta3 – however, that's still something I (just my personal take) would not advise in a productive blog.
ICE wrote:(this year? :mrgreen: )
I don't think so. Again, just my personal take.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

ICE wrote:Very good ... but: "Bedingung nicht erfüllt: Serendipity 2.0" ... :(
Sorry, but it is just so much more comfortable to target 2.0.
Czorneboh wrote:a) Is it possible for the user to adjust the margins between the pictures vertically and horizontally? Or, if not yet, what do you think about that?
You are actually not the first to ask that, so it seems that this might be a point several people will want to change and I should add to the readme.
The theme supports a user.css, it should be quite possible to change the margins and paddings there.
Czorneboh wrote:b) What about opportunities for integration into another s9y-blog. My idea is an integration of a picture in the entry like it is possible with Youtube-Videos.
Hm, I needed a moment to get what you mean. You are talking about an embed-link, aren't you? A premade, easy to copy link that enables to properly use and link the image on another site.
I'm not sure how one would do that, and if it really is in the interest of the typical blogger to support hotlinking like that. I personally would like it, but am not sure about a good UI for that yet.
Czorneboh wrote:Maybe it could be made possible to integrate a slider with pictures from the photoblog (from one folder there) into another s9y-blog?
I don't think that to share a folder will work, to think in folders would need a plugin and might be too foreign to s9y. A theme could easier work with the images in an entry (and would still probably need plugin-like functionality to serve the js for the slider. This might go over the scope of a theme like this).
Czorneboh wrote:And how it would look like, if you take the link of an entry with several pics and put it in your facebook-stream and Google+ stream? Would it work to have the choice between all picutres of the blog entry (or only the first 3, what I had explored today with my blog post with more than 4 pics in one entry)?
I think so. Facebook at least lets you select the photo you want to have shown with a link, this should work here if url-rewriting is enabled (else FB fails at the index.php?… part of a typical URL).