How to replace top banner with an image?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
nochesbellas

How to replace top banner with an image?

Post by nochesbellas »

Hello,

I'd like to place an image on top banner (where my blog name and description appears) using the default theme.

I noticed that a page called layout.php in the serendipity/templates/default directory can be modified to do this, BUT if I do this and later upgrade to a newer version of s9y I will probably lose my changes because that file will probably be overwritten. So, is there a "proper" way for me to specify an image on top without hacking away the s9y code, or is this the way things are?

p.s.: I'm using s9y v0.7.

Post by Guest »

Instead of hacking the default theme, why don't you simply create a new theme that /won't/ be overwritten when you upgrade s9y? That said, it would probably be more appropriate to use CSS than modify the HTML output.

Take a look at some of the other themes to get an idea of how to go about creating your own. All you should need is to make an info.txt and style.css in a properly named subdirectory of the templates/ folder and you should be golden.
nochesbellas

Got it, thanks!!!

Post by nochesbellas »

Thanks for your reply!!!

Before posting my question I actually tried copying the default directory with a new name but it never showed up in the admin screens, but after I modified the info.txt file like you said everything work perfect!

Thanks!