conflict between Kinetic-css and plugin "microformats"

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Czorneboh
Regular

conflict between Kinetic-css and plugin "microformats"

Post by Czorneboh »

Hi all!

I am using the template Kinetic 1.2. After changing the outfit by using tabs on my homepage I aware failures: the tabs can´t reed because the letters are in dark blue on dark grey background. Only the activated tabs can be read.

Don (created Kinetic) gave these hints to fix the problem:

I am using the plugin "microformats". That plugin is loading a stylesheet named tabber.css which contains styles which are conflicting with the red-dog stylesheet. That plugin's stylesheet has to be modified, or the red-dog stylesheet. Third solution would be using more specific rules in user.css to override the conflicts.

All that I can´t do. I have no idea, what I have to modify concrete.

Is there anybody, who feels able to fix the css-conflict for me?
I offer to pay for this work, but I would like to have a bill, because the blog is now commercial.

My homepage with those tabs is here:
http://www.blog.ost-impuls.de

regards
Joerg
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: conflict between Kinetic-css and plugin "microformats"

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Hm, I don't really know much about the microformats plugin. I know that it has a backend view where tabs are used, so this is were the tabber.css would also be used.

But is tabber.css even used in the frontend of your blog? I think the microformats are embedded as metadata, and now actually transformed using the tabber?!

In that case you could simply edit serendipity_event_microformats.ph and remove that line:

Code: Select all

echo '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="' . $pluginDir . '/tabber.css"/>';
(line 225)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I don't know why the plugin is loading that stylesheet on the frontend either... it doesn't use tabs on the front end as near as I can tell.

Garvin: Can you modify the plugin so it only loads the stylesheet on the backend?
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
Garvin: Can you modify the plugin so it only loads the stylesheet on the backend?
Yes, but first I would like to make sure that it has no side-effects, so ideally I'd like Joerg to test it on his install :)

Regards,
Garvin
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Hi!

Okay, Garvin, I am ready. :)

What do you need from me? Or do I shall wait just for the modified file from you to exchange?

regards
Joerg
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I need you to do what I originally wrote (remove that line from the file), and see if then your problems go away. Then you should take a few days to see if it has any side-effects to the microformats plugin, and if all is well, I can officially change it in the plugin.

Regards,
Garvin
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:But is tabber.css even used in the frontend of your blog? I think the microformats are embedded as metadata, and now actually transformed using the tabber?!
For some weird reason the microformats plugin includes tabber.css in the frontend although it is used only in the plugin's configuration in the backend. :shock: Something™ seems to trigger the event hook 'frontend header', if I get the plugin code right.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I just installed the microformats plugin on one of my test sites. I have no idea what it does, as I cannot see any difference to an entry that was marked to use it compared to one that was not. Looks like it is used to review things and/or events.

Regardless of what it does, or does not, do, It does not seem to use tabbing at all... maybe it did at some point in the past, but it does not now. Nor does it load the tabber.css stylesheet on the backend - only the front end, which it does not need.

I say delete that line and just be done with it. :mrgreen:
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Hi!

I deactivated the microformat plugin now. Now the letters on the tabs are visible! :lol:

The deactivation did not had effect to the events list above so far I can see at a glance.
It is one of those plugins, I do not used. I forgot it, when I had the last cleaning day.

Before I delete the line, I will do, what Don recommended:

"don't delete the line that ... instead, add 2 slashes to the beginning of the line, ie //"

Then I come back..
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I suggested the slashes because it will turn that line into a comment. It can easily be restored by deleting the slashes if you need to. However, you will need to reactivate the plugin if you do that to see if the modification worked. This is just for testing though, if you do not need the plugin, you should not be using it as each plugin consumes server resources.
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

I have done it now. In front of that line the 2 slahes. And activated again the plugin. I now do not test it. Without the cleaning of the cache or restart of the browser - there seems to be no difference. But proofe it by yourself!

regards
Joerg
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I just checked your site... if you ARE running the plugin, and have commented out the line suggested above, then it worked because tabber.css is not being loaded.
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Hello!

Now I have activated this plugin. Analysis tools recommended microformats, which have impact for google optimization. I want to find out.
We will see, what happens.

regards
Czorneboh