Bulletproof 1.4?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
gnome

Bulletproof 1.4?

Post by gnome »

I've spent some time searching the forums and can't seem to find the answer.

Have just installed latest version of Serendipity. Activated Spartacus plugin, and it's working fine.

There's a listing for Bulletproof 1.4, but no little availability icon on the right side. It does appear in the theme directory of the server, however.

At the main page for Bulletproof, the highest version I can find is 1.2, which I've installed manually.

So currently I've got listed 1.2 with the availability icon, and 1.4 with *no* availability icon.

I'm anxious to start using Bulletproof for some projects, but want to use the latest version.

How do I get 1.4 on, or activated? I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious:D

Thanks!

%%robert
yellowled
Regular

Re: Bulletproof 1.4?

Post by yellowled »

gnome wrote:There's a listing for Bulletproof 1.4, but no little availability icon on the right side. It does appear in the theme directory of the server, however.
The icon does not reflect availability in spartacus if a theme (or plugin) is part of the s9y core, which BP is.
gnome wrote:At the main page for Bulletproof, the highest version I can find is 1.2, which I've installed manually.
Since BP is part of the s9y core, there is no need to install it manually. Also, unfortunately, the BP site is kind of unmaintained since BP development has stalled (simply because there's not much to maintain, also because BP is getting old an very likely to be replaced in the future).
gnome wrote:I'm anxious to start using Bulletproof for some projects, but want to use the latest version.
The latest BP version is always the one shipped with the s9y core.

YL
gnome

Post by gnome »

Thanks so much for the fast and helpful reply!

So since I now have 1.2 and 1.4 listed in Spartacus, how do I ensure that I'm using 1.4?

Thanks again!

%%robert
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

gnome wrote:So currently I've got listed 1.2 with the availability icon, and 1.4 with *no* availability icon.
Are you're talking about the icon that looks either like Image or Image?

Generally when a template is active, that icon will be hidden, which would lead me to believe you're already running BP 1.4?
gnome

Post by gnome »

Yes, I was! And I saw that 1.2 had no icon and 1.4 did. Hit the 1.4 icon, it worked.

Problem solved, with great thanks to all!

I've got and read big chunks of the Handbuch f. Serendipity Bestellen, so I think I can take things on my own for a bit.

One last question. I read in the first reply that this template is due to be replaced in the future. Is there anything more about those plans? In the interim, will Bulletproof represent he best template for building projects?

thanks!

%%robert
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

gnome wrote:I read in the first reply that this template is due to be replaced in the future. Is there anything more about those plans? In the interim, will Bulletproof represent he best template for building projects?
It depends on what you mean by "building projects".

BP as a template is really more of a construction kit than a boilerplate, especially for new users. It's not the best choice as a starting point for building your own custom template from scratch unless you have a lot of experience building templates. However, it's great if you like it's basic looks and just want to add a few tweaks and customizations here and there, especially if these can be done using its various theme options.

So if you want to build a template tailored to your site's specific needs, there are probably better options than BP. I would always recommend /templates/default as a starting point/boilerplate. But if you just want to build a site without having to edit much code, BP is probably the way to go.

That being said, there is no harm in checking it out – changing your template should not affect your site, i.e. you're free to change the template at any time.

Concerning the future plans: There are a lot of plans to improve s9y in the future. How close that future may be depends on the (spare) time the developers will be able to commit to the project. I am working on a new default theme, but it's really hard to just predict the point of time at which I'll have something to show to the community. :)

YL
gnome

Post by gnome »

Thank you, YL for the very full and generous answer.

While I am new to s9y, a fair amount of experience in the coding side of things. Your advice is excellent, and I shall definitely follow it.

The opic is "resolved" and I am very grateful to all the contributors.

%%robert