newbie with justhost blog, change font

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
hope4life
Regular

newbie with justhost blog, change font

Post by hope4life »

forgive me if this is a basic question. please direct me to any post that would help answer my question bc i have yet to find it.

i have a website with justhost.com. through rvsite build i started a blog useing this serendipity and everything is fine for posting and such but i want to enlarge font, bold it and make it black. i am not sure how you can fully edit templated with serendipity but im able to dig through my file manager and locate the style css code but when i make my edits and save it, it does not save and changes dont show up on screen.

what is the propper way to change such things as font for the blog? its my home page but i have other pages on the site as well. blog is just what u see right when u go to my site.

i heard about mysql and i have a database but where do i go to make the changes id like? thanks for any imput!
danst0
Regular

Re: newbie with justhost blog, change font

Post by danst0 »

the font is usually changed in the style sheet file (.css file ending). You can find it in the folder of your template.

But be careful, better make a backup before changing anything.

Daniel
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

i believe thats where im stuck. i know how to search within the file manager and find the css style sheets but i dont know which one is used for the default blog set up.

i managed to find how to change the font size and color, totally flew over my eyes in the entry edit page. although its not appearingcorrectly after posting. i do wish i can now edit the size of the blog entry title text so im still hunting for the propper file/css i need to change
danst0
Regular

Post by danst0 »

have a look at yourdomain.com/serendipity_admin.php -> Manage Styles -> and see which one is selected (no install icon on the right side)

remember the name.

Fire up your favorite ftp client and connect to your server -> navigate to /templates/the_name_to_remember -> edit style.css

Daniel
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

where is the manage styles section or is it under a catagory after entering the administrator suit? at the bottom it says my version is 1.5.5 and PHP 5.2.17. is this an older version because i dont see where to manage styles. just
* Frontpage
* Personal Settings

Entries
* New Entry
* Edit Entries
* Comments
* Categories

Media
* Add media
* Media library
* Manage directories
* Rebuild Thumbs

Appearance
* Configure Plugins

Administration
* Configuration
* Import data
* Export entries

thanks for helping me!
danst0
Regular

Post by danst0 »

Do you have admin rights for your blog. Usually the "Manage Styles" should be right under appearance.

Daniel
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

are admin rights something i need to set up or does justhost issue this because when i login it says im logged in as administrator on the admin suit so i would think i had those rights? does anyone who uses this blog on justhost have this issue?
Mangek
Regular

Post by Mangek »

RV Site builder strikes again, huh? Here are some quotes from the past:
garvinhicking wrote:Hi!

You're using "RV Site builder" which customizes Serendipity to a point we cannot support because they changed core components which we have no knowledge of.

Especially the configuration and template management has been altered in a way that they have never revealed to us, so we can't really support it here - we wish we could

Regards,
Garvin
Don Chambers wrote:Yes, its RVSitebuilders again. That entire site could be powered exclusively by serendipity, instead of using serendipity just for the blog component, and other script(s) for the html pages.

You will need to talk to your provider for assistance unless you want to start over exclusively with Serendipity directly installed via FTP.
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

whats funny is, when contacting justhost about the template issue for the blog they say to contact a web developer bc they do not offer support for it. this is good to know. ive been trying to play with the style sheet but it does not want to stay put and saved. im contacting justhost again to see if they offer serendibity blog for each of their site builders. they have like five different ones. wondering if the blog would work better with a different site builder or if its justhost all together...
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

If they provide FTP access, and database administration (ie, phpMyAdmin), you could install serendipity yourself, and not use their version.
=Don=
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

don, i do have the phpmyadmin, could please inform my house i could install it myself? and would i be installing it to be able to use within my website set up or just as a seperate blog all together? thanks
hope4life
Regular

Post by hope4life »

could you please inform me how to install it myself'''' sorry, typos, must still be to early here :)
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

well its good to have phpmyadmin or similiar tools, but you don't need them to install serendipity, if you already have a database with the necessary login data. Just hook the serendipity folder via ftp to your server and call the url in your browser. Make sure you have a unique Prefix by hand for the database tables, like 'mys9y_' and install.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian