Post reply in i3theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Sasni
Regular

Post reply in i3theme

Post by Sasni »

How I can add "post reply" into i3theme?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Post reply in i3theme

Post by yellowled »

Sasni wrote:How I can add "post reply" into i3theme?
In the entries.tpl after this piece of code:

Code: Select all

<span class="comments">{if $entry.has_comments}{if $use_popups}<a href="{$entry.link_popup_comments}" onclick="window.open(this.href, 'comments', 'width=480,height=480,scrollbars=yes'); return false;">{if $entry.comments == 0}{$CONST.NO_COMMENTS}{else}{$entry.comments} {$entry.label_comments}{/if}&nbsp;&raquo;</a>{else}<a href="{$entry.link}#comments">{if $entry.comments == 0}{$CONST.NO_COMMENTS}{else}{$entry.comments} {$entry.label_comments}{/if}&nbsp;&raquo;</a>{/if}{/if}</span>
add

Code: Select all

<div class="reply">{if $entry.has_comments}{if $use_popups}<a href="{$entry.link_popup_comments}" onclick="window.open(this.href, 'comments', 'width=480,height=480,scrollbars=yes'); return false;">Post reply&nbsp;&raquo;</a>{else}<a href="{$entry.link}#comments">Post reply&nbsp;&raquo;</a>{/if}{/if}</div>
Done. However, notice that this is neither localized (meaning the "Post reply" text won't adapt to other languages) nor update-safe (meaning in case of an update to the i3theme, these changes will be overwritten, so you're gonna need to put it back in from a backup).

YL
Sasni
Regular

Post by Sasni »

I mean the ability to respond to comments
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I'm afraid that's not that easy. :) The i3theme does not support threaded comments, since the WP original doesn't, either (it's my policy with WP ports to stay as close to the original as possible). Without threaded comments, replying to posts is kind of pointless.

You'd have to add threaded comments first, including the styles to indent comments etc. This is a bit tricky since the i3theme uses an unordered list to display comments. Also, this is kind of complicated because the i3theme supports 2- or 3-column layouts, not leaving much space to actually indent comments. If all this works, you'd have to add the necessary reply code (a select box plus a div container) to the comment form.

All in all, I don't think it's going to be easy to implement in a usable way.

YL