IE Issues

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
basshook
Regular

IE Issues

Post by basshook »

I was wondering if someone could take a look at this site: http://www.sportsmanfishing.com/blog/index.php in IE 6 and direct me to the correct stylesheet to make the content body equal the wrapper/header/footer width. It looks fine in all modern browsers, but I cannot seem to get it right in IE 6. I've tried making changes in the templates/bulletproof/default.css and style.css but cannot seem to figure it out.
yellowled
Regular

Re: IE Issues

Post by yellowled »

basshook wrote:I've tried making changes in the templates/bulletproof/default.css and style.css but cannot seem to figure it out.
Okay, first of all you should never make changes to these stylesheets in BP unless you're working with a copy of BP in a seperate directory (which you don't). That's what the optional user.css (see s9y-bulletproof.com or search the forum for more info, please) is for. Your changes to these stylesheets will be overwritten with the next S9y update, so please save your changes and port them to a user.css.

On your IE6 issue: I can't test it since I neither have IE6 installed any longer nor do I support it in my work. Judging from a generated screenshot I'd first suggest changing all horizontal margins with padding, i.e. if an element has margin: 0.5em 1em;, it should have margin: 0.5em 0; padding: 0 1em;. After doing that, check again.

Basically, these layouts should work in BP out of the box. You shouldn't have to change anything but colors, fonts etc. -- but as you can see here, it's quite easy to break the layout if you play into the hands of IE6's bugs.

YL