Pixel Theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
JokerHill
Regular

Pixel Theme

Post by JokerHill »

Hi everyone,

I'm using the Pixel theme and was wondering where in the code I can move the 'next page' tab from the top of the page, to the bottom where it really should be. I'm not really adept at coding, I can hack things to meet my needs, but the 'next page' button has me stumped.

My site is here for those not familiar with the Pixel theme: http://www.harvestdream.org/index.php?/archives/P2.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To heal or not to heal, that is the question!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Pixel Theme

Post by garvinhicking »

(Mod: Moved to THEMES forum)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

JokerHill wrote:I'm using the Pixel theme and was wondering where in the code I can move the 'next page' tab from the top of the page, to the bottom where it really should be. I'm not really adept at coding, I can hack things to meet my needs, but the 'next page' button has me stumped.
I'm pretty sure this is due to some kind of error in the content of the entries. This could be due to either errors in the markup or caused by an event/markup plugin you're using. Something™ (right now, I have no idea what this could be :shock:) adds code to your content which isn't supposed to be there, isn't in the template and screws up the layout.

A list of event and sidebar plugins you're using would be good. You could try to set any event plugin to hidden (one by one), save and check the site again. A very likely candidate is anything which embeds media (audio/video) into posts - do you have any category in which there's no post including audio or video? Also, plugins which manipulate the DOM (i.e. plugins using Javascript) are possible sources of error.

More ideas for testing: Try adding the welcome box in the theme options to see if that does something. Try placing plugins in both sidebars, try disabling the Feedburner subscription box.

(Sorry, but this is going to need some testing since it doesn't seem to be an "obvious" error. :?)

YL
JokerHill
Regular

Post by JokerHill »

Thank you for your help yellowled!

I tried the welcome box, and nothing changed. I also can't seem to hide plugins or move them into any other section of the page (right, top...). The plugins are locked to the right side. Same goes with my event plugins, I can't drag them over into inactive in order to test them individually, I would have to remove them, and then reinstall. Is this common to this theme? (Any Pixel users out there?) Or is something wrong with my serendipity install?

Any insights would be appreciated!

(Hold the horses...)

While testing various event plugins, I noticed I had 'Markup: Serendipity' installed, so I removed it and voila, the 'previous/next' buttons are where they should be!

Thank you for your time, I hadn't considered the plugins, so your direction was most helpful. :D
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

JokerHill wrote:I also can't seem to hide plugins or move them into any other section of the page (right, top...). The plugins are locked to the right side. Same goes with my event plugins, I can't drag them over into inactive in order to test them individually, I would have to remove them, and then reinstall. Is this common to this theme?
Absolutely not. If you can't drag 'n' drop plugins in the backend, it's usually either because Javascript has been disabled in the browser or the corresponding setting in your personal configuration in S9y says not to use advanced Javascript.
JokerHill wrote:While testing various event plugins, I noticed I had 'Markup: Serendipity' installed, so I removed it and voila, the 'previous/next' buttons are where they should be!
That's, erm, strange. Can't imagine any effect this plugin would actually have on the layout.

YL
JokerHill
Regular

Post by JokerHill »

I also removed an HTML footer that I was not using, perhaps that was the culprit? These were the only two changes I made.

Thanks for the Javascript advice, I'll look into it for sure.

Thanks again!
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

JokerHill wrote:I also removed an HTML footer that I was not using, perhaps that was the culprit?
Which HTML footer do you mean? Besides, it's pretty easy to find out -- just reactivate the Markup plugin. If it still works, your code changes did the trick, if not, the markup plugin is responsible for this, although I can't imagine how. :)

YL