Changing themes and credits to original authors

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
francisco1844
Regular

Changing themes and credits to original authors

Post by francisco1844 »

Non technical question on themes...

Found a theme I like as a starting point, but plan to modify.
What is the proper and correct way to credit the original authors?
Add my name to the list of authors?
Say "template by xxxx" derived from theme abc...

How about naming convention? Give it different name or a variation of the name. Example starting out with Andreas09. Could call mine Andreas10?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Changing themes and credits to original authors

Post by yellowled »

francisco1844 wrote:Found a theme I like as a starting point, but plan to modify.
If I'm not mistaken (not exactly a license expert, though), anything listed on Spartacus automagically gets a GPL license if not indicated otherwise. As far as I know, there are only very few S9y themes w/ different licenses, i.e. the commericial theme Kinetic by Don.
francisco1844 wrote:What is the proper and correct way to credit the original authors? Add my name to the list of authors? Say "template by xxxx" derived from theme abc...
Haven't modified a theme myself in quite a while, but most people seem to do both. :)
francisco1844 wrote:How about naming convention? Give it different name or a variation of the name. Example starting out with Andreas09. Could call mine Andreas10?
There is none. My feeling is if you create a derivative theme, it should be indicated somehow. "$NAME (based on $ORIGINAL)" or something.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

But the naming is really not something one can enforce, and it surely depends on how much you use from the old template for it to feel needed or not.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:But the naming is really not something one can enforce, and it surely depends on how much you use from the old template for it to feel needed or not.
It should be mentioned that not changing the name in the info.txt file could also lead to confusing since there would be two themes of the same name in the theme list. :)

Let's put it this way: It's always nice to credit the original author, but I guess in the end it's more or less optional.

YL