I'd like to create a container inside the sidebar

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Christine
Regular

I'd like to create a container inside the sidebar

Post by Christine »

Hi! I'm trying to design my Serendipity blog (based on MT-Clean) and am a little lost on how to create divs, despite looking through all the documentation on the site.

My design for the entries and sidebar is two overlapping boxes with rounded corners. In the past I've played with doing this design with images, but find it hard to get it to line up in different browsers and resolutions. So I basically use nested div boxes and a rounded corners script. I've managed to make this work perfectly in entries using .serendipity_entry and .serendipity_entry_body.

I'd like to put another div id or class inside RightSideBar, but around the individual plugins. I just can't figure out how in Smarty. I'd appreciate any help. Sorry if this is a bit thick of me but I really am a rank amateur, I just manage to fluke my way through the basics in html and css.

Thanks!
Christine
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: I'd like to create a container inside the sidebar

Post by Don Chambers »

Hello Christine! Welcome to Serendipity! I see this is your first post.

Sidebar content is USUALLY emitted via the smarty template sidebar.tpl. If your template does not contain this file (MT-Clean does not), you can copy the file from the /templates/default/ folder to your template folder (mt-clean, unless you changed the name or copied it to a new folder).

Once the smarty template file sidebar.tpl exists in your actual template folder, you can edit that version of it to include the extra HTML markup you want.
=Don=
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Thanks, that worked! I didn't expect it to be so easy, for some reason I thought there would be extra coding involved.

And thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really excited about using Serendipity for my blog. I'll post a link once I've tweaked my design a bit more.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Great job! Cannot wait to visit a link to your site when you are ready to share it!
=Don=