porting magazeen (not yet released)

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
lordcoffee
Regular

porting magazeen (not yet released)

Post by lordcoffee »

Hi my fellow s9y friends.

Afetr I moved to my new house and already have Internet connection I like to tell that I'm porting the amazing magazeen theme to serendipity.

There are a few things I want to know before I finish my work:

The theme is a (as the name says) a magazine style template. I already made all features work and are editable from the backend, but I choosed to set thr frontpage in a kind of way it wasn't supposed to be. Normaly you can choose wich category is posted in the separated styles in the main pattern. I decided to let the entries switch to the styles by age (I hope you can understand what I mean). Large Entries, then medium size and then just the headlines. So the older an entry is the less important it is displayed. Do you agree with that kinda way or would you prefer the category chooser? Maybe (if I can handle) I can realize a backend option to let the user decide what he likes (sounds good but hard to do ;-) )

Preview Image here

Greetings, lordcoffee
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: porting magazeen (not yet released)

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Oh yeah! :-)

That looks very promising. Personally, I'd love both ways. For my private blog, I'd love that "aging" effect. But I see people who have different "importantness" in their categories that it would be good to pick which method is used...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
lordcoffee
Regular

Post by lordcoffee »

I have another question about templating. Is it possible to foce some kind of custom field to entries without installing the custom props plugin? At this time I'm using a custom field called featured where a "true" has to be entered when an entry should be displayed in the featured entries sidebar. It would be nice to provide a checkbox for that wich is automatically in the entries backend when this theme is installed.

Greetings, lordcoffee
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

lordcoffee wrote:Is it possible to foce some kind of custom field to entries without installing the custom props plugin?
I don't think so. You need the extended entry properties plugin to have those in the first place.
lordcoffee wrote:At this time I'm using a custom field called featured where a "true" has to be entered when an entry should be displayed in the featured entries sidebar.
Hm, in the themes I have ported using a featured category, I usually provided a theme option to select a category to pull featured articles from, but it sounds like this is not an option here, right?

YL
lordcoffee
Regular

Post by lordcoffee »

Hm, in the themes I have ported using a featured category, I usually provided a theme option to select a category to pull featured articles from, but it sounds like this is not an option here, right?
Right ;-) Because featured articles could be in different categories. It just would be nice to have a simple checkbox thought. :cry:
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Since you can have multiple categories, you could add all the featured articles to their original category and the "featured" category. No new checkbox or extended properties plugin required.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:Since you can have multiple categories, you could add all the featured articles to their original category and the "featured" category. No new checkbox or extended properties plugin required.
However, the template should have some kind of hint that this category actually has to exist in any blog using it :)

YL