wppremium bug?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
TKS
Regular

wppremium bug?

Post by TKS »

So I've started messing with the wppremium template:
http://yellowled.de/ports.en.html

You can see what it looks like on my blog here: Yet Another Linux Blog

I've found a couple of problems with it...first, email subscriptions with feedburner don't seem to work. No matter if I put my correct feedID in the style settings on the backside, I can't subscribe. No worries...I can make one with html nugget.

Next, if you are forcing the feedburner RSS feed, the top RSS icon in the header does not force...instead, it 404's. So it doesn't honor the 'forcing' using the syndication plugin.

Last, quicksearch is extremely slow and returns no results for me. For example, do a search for 'linux' on my blog...there should be hundreds of returns but there aren't any at all.

I'd be willing to troubleshoot these and help with the resolution of them as I really like the look and feel of the template.
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

I'm going to setup a test instance of this and will report back with the URL...having my liveblog with a 404 and some of the small problems is causing a bit of ruckus with my traffic volume I have. So, give me a few to get this setup on a test site.
yellowled
Regular

Re: wppremium bug?

Post by yellowled »

TKS wrote:email subscriptions with feedburner don't seem to work. No matter if I put my correct feedID in the style settings on the backside, I can't subscribe.
You do know you have to activate email subscriptions in your Feedburner account first, right? I have to admit I never really tested this, so we may have to to some testing here.
TKS wrote:Next, if you are forcing the feedburner RSS feed, the top RSS icon in the header does not force...instead, it 404's. So it doesn't honor the 'forcing' using the syndication plugin.
True. Feedburner is used for email subscription only here since there's no way to have email subscriptions in s9y "out of the box" - you need some external tool.

So why doesn't it show the Feedburner feed if email subscriptions via Feedburner are activated? Because that would have required an additional theme option to enter the Feedburner URL for your feed. You can't deduct the feed URL from the id as far as I know.

(Yes, I can implement the additional option to link to the Feedburner feed in the top RSS icon, but that will have to wait until Monday.)
TKS wrote:Last, quicksearch is extremely slow and returns no results for me. For example, do a search for 'linux' on my blog...there should be hundreds of returns but there aren't any at all.
Hm, funny. Categories and archives seem to work just fine. As for the search, I have tested it with 'linux', and you're right, no results. However, give 'test' a go ... 34 results.

All of this works perfectly fine in my test blog, so I'm guesssing there's something wrong with the search which is not related to the template.

YL
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

I've decided I like the theme enough that I'm going to keep it live...and I'm willing to give you whatever access you need to assist.

I'm not hugely s9y savvy but I do know my way around in linux. Let me know when you're ready and I'll work with you to get things working smoothly in this theme (it's very snazzy btw :D )
yellowled
Regular

Re: wppremium bug?

Post by yellowled »

TKS wrote:email subscriptions with feedburner don't seem to work. No matter if I put my correct feedID in the style settings on the backside, I can't subscribe. No worries...I can make one with html nugget.
I have to admit I still don't know why this doesn't work.
TKS wrote:Next, if you are forcing the feedburner RSS feed, the top RSS icon in the header does not force...instead, it 404's. So it doesn't honor the 'forcing' using the syndication plugin.
I just now updated the zipfile on my website. It now has an additional theme option to enter the URL to a Feedburner feed. If this URL is entered, the link in the header will link to that feed, if it is left empty, it will link to s9y's default RSS 2.0 feed. Please also note that this RSS link in the header is not attached to the sidebar plugin.
TKS wrote:Last, quicksearch is extremely slow and returns no results for me.
As I already stated, this is probably not related to the template. I guess you're going to have to investigate this further (also see http://s9y.org/11.html#A14), but this seems to be an issue with the quicksearch, not the template.

YL
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

So the email subscription was bad because my feedburner profile is messed up...am on the support channels with them to get it fixed.

However, I opted to go with SendMeRSS.com instead since they have a nice, one page signup. I plugged this into the tpl file and viola!

What I plan on doing with search is plugging in google to it instead of quicksearch
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

I've fixed everything I've run across so far. Everything works quite well. The google search has a button in the form though so I'm not able to use the "Go" search button for it , but that's minimal. Everything works nicely.

Thanks for making such a great theme! (or porting rather :D)

I'd get you something on your wishlist but I can't read German :|
sonichouse
Regular

Post by sonichouse »

TKS wrote:I'd get you something on your wishlist but I can't read German :|
You could always try translate.google.com ?
Steve is occasionally blogging here
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

TKS wrote:However, I opted to go with SendMeRSS.com instead since they have a nice, one page signup. I plugged this into the tpl file and viola
I didn't know about that one, so maybe I'll add that to the template as an alternative later.
TKS wrote:I'd get you something on your wishlist but I can't read German
You really don't have to, but basically you can pick anything on there or send me an email for advice :)

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

yellowled wrote:I didn't know about that one, so maybe I'll add that to the template as an alternative later.
No, I won't, because it's flash based. Uagh. Sorry. :)

YL