Templates Uneditable???

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Michele2
Regular

Templates Uneditable???

Post by Michele2 »

Can't say as I've ever seen this before, I can't change anything in the template folders.

I currently am using Earphones. I tried to edit some stuff under the directories for other templates and the same thing is happening.

I've tried going through cPanel and FTP. I can work with files in the other folders, but once I go into a directory for a specific template anything I try to do is ignored.

Renaming files - it looks like it works, but the filename doesn't change.

Images - I can't upload a new image and it won't let me change the old one(s). I tried deleting the existing image, it acts like it's working, and shazzam it reappears.

I edit and upload the style sheet and the old one is still there. I can't rename it, edit it or anything even though it acts like I am.

I changed the permissions on just about everything - I might need a bit of help once I get going to make sure I get everything back right. :oops:

Is there some setting somewhere I don't know about? I wouldn't believe this if I wasn't seeing it. This is maddening.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Not sure if you have server issues, permission issues, or anything else. That is not my expertise (actually, NOTHING is my expertise!!! hehehe)

Anyway, try deleting everything from your templates_c folder EXCEPT the .empty file. I find it difficult to believe that is your problem though, unless you are modifying tpls.
=Don=
Michele2
Regular

Post by Michele2 »

Hi Don,

Deleted the files you suggested, didn't do anything.

Haven't tried editing the templates, I am hoping on using the new one reinhard is working on. In the meantime I had hoped to get something somewhat set up to start link building.

I can't imagine that I won't want to change something on the template and am confounded as to why I am not being allowed to edit, write, or delete anything in the template/namexx directories.

It let me create a folder in the template directory and renamed the template 1. So, I copied the files to the new folder and then I could edit them.

Strange, very strange. Oh, well at least it let's me get around the problem and it forces me to keep an archive of the original files. :roll:
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

I am having the same problem as you.

I seem to only be able to edit the default template, but everything else is unchangeable.

Here is a link to my test blog: http://daxueyingyu.com/blog.tests/

Sorry if this is considered threadjacking, but I thought it would be better to post here than start a new thread. :)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi hdiaz!

Please check the permissions on your directories, you might need to change those. You might also need to ask your provider to change the permissions for you, and then you should check the configuration of your spartacus plugin if the inserted permissions and ownerships there are in accordance with your webserver setup.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi hdiaz!

Please check the permissions on your directories, you might need to change those. You might also need to ask your provider to change the permissions for you, and then you should check the configuration of your spartacus plugin if the inserted permissions and ownerships there are in accordance with your webserver setup.

Regards,
Garvin
So I guess I need to CHMOD the particular template folders to 777?

The actual templates folder is already 777, but the folders in there, so for example, "earphone," "1024px," "blue" and so one are not.

I don't know why, but some of the templates can be edited, but others cannot, but they all have the same permissions. :(
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yes, template files downloaded by spartacus by default get the ownership of your webserver, those are different than the owners of your FTP ownership in your case.

So you can configure the spartacus plugin to set "0777" permissions on files downloaded by spartacus. This does not apply to already downloaded directories+files. Those need to be manually set to 0777 by you, or your provider, if you can't change those files.

You might want to look up the "fixperm.php" script mentioned in the FAQ on www.s9y.org, that could help you.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
hdiaz36
Regular

Post by hdiaz36 »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi!

Yes, template files downloaded by spartacus by default get the ownership of your webserver, those are different than the owners of your FTP ownership in your case.

So you can configure the spartacus plugin to set "0777" permissions on files downloaded by spartacus. This does not apply to already downloaded directories+files. Those need to be manually set to 0777 by you, or your provider, if you can't change those files.

You might want to look up the "fixperm.php" script mentioned in the FAQ on www.s9y.org, that could help you.

Regards,
Garvin
Thank you, I will have a look at the fixperm.php and let you know if I still have problems.