Feature request multilingual: Language list should show national names

Creating and modifying plugins.
frineu
Regular

Feature request multilingual: Language list should show national names

Post by frineu »

The language list should use the national language name by default.

Deutsch NOT German
Dansk NOT Danish
Español NOT Spanish
Français NOT French
Suomalainen NOT Finnish
čeština NOT Czech
Slovenský NOT Slovak
Nederlands NOT Dutch
Íslensku NOT Icelandic
Türk NOT Turkish
中文 NOT Traditional Chinese

should i continue?
stephanbrunker
Regular

Re: Feature request multilingual: Language list should show national names

Post by stephanbrunker »

That one is simple and you can change it for yourself. Just edit the language list in serendipity_config.inc.php , that is where the language names come from. I did that ages ago.
frineu
Regular

Post by frineu »

serendipity_config.inc.php will be overwritten by update :(
stephanbrunker
Regular

Post by stephanbrunker »

@frineu: Can you give me the list? The serendipity_config.inc.php file is encoded in UTF-8, so that is a simple fix and I fixed the issue that this list was at two places conflicting with each other.

Edit … Google helped. Problem just with Korean and Tamil which isn't displayed properly and I don't know if that is because I don't have the eastern language package in windows installed or an encoding problem.
frineu
Regular

Post by frineu »

Sorry for the delay.
According to google translate:
Tamil is தமிழ்
Korean is 한국의

Do you need more language translations? Right now, i don't have more translations than the ones listed above.
stephanbrunker
Regular

Post by stephanbrunker »

I found a page with all the names and put it into a Pull request. The request is open but I think it is going to be integrated in version 2.4 .
frineu
Regular

Post by frineu »

cool
PeterFox
Regular

Post by PeterFox »

Hi,
it looks like serendipity_plugin_multilingual.php uses an array of 'fixed' (English language) names for the difference languages, and therefore the dropdown list that appears on front end always shows the language names in English regardless of language used.
I imagine it's not so tricky to pull these names from the lang.XX.inc.php files instead of 'hardcoding' them in serendipity_plugin_multilingual.php, if the language names have been translated.

Has anyone done anything like this?
If not, how is the capacity /interest to add translations to each lang.XX.inc.php for each language?

Thanks in advance,

pete
Pete
stephanbrunker
Regular

Post by stephanbrunker »

Hello,

the language names were hardcoded in the core functions. This ist fixed in the actual master (2.4.x). The problem is only that this version is still in alpha status and the 2.3.5 release doesn't includes these fixes. If you are running an actual multilingual blog, I can offer you my personal test build which is ahead of even the master on https://github.com/s9y/Serendipity by several features like the option to show only translated articles if you select another language and fixes in determining the language to show. The latest addition is the handling of sending emails in the language the user has selected when he subscribed. If you are interested, I just have to do a quick test of that latest function and then I can give you the link to my repository with the latest versions.

As of the translations, there was also a major update in the sorting of the language files. You can pull these from the GitHub - master repository, edit and do either a pull request via GitHub or send the edited file per mail.
PeterFox
Regular

Post by PeterFox »

Thanks for the support - this is great news - the problem is clearly 'in hand'.
I'm just designing/setting up so not going live quite yet. If I go live before 2.4 goes stable then I would like to take you up on your offer. Can I get back to you at some point?

Thanks!
Pete
stephanbrunker
Regular

Post by stephanbrunker »

Of course. https://github.com/stephanbrunker/Seren ... /docs/NEWS lists the changes in my current development head which is alpha3 - alpha6. Aside from that, I have three additional features on my ToDo:
[*]mail to subscribers in different languages only after their version is created
[*]fix the cache in the multilingual environment
[*]assign an image and preview image to an entry in the core
[*]check the tagged translation of the blog title, which is possibly omitted at some places

I don't have a clue when 2.4 gets officially published as alpha3 is still awaiting review and I am already at alpha6. But these changes should make the multilingual scenario fully functional, aside from the preference for the default language, e.g. that an article has to exist in the default language before you can create translated versions. But if there is a need, even that can possibly be managed with an dummy entry which is skipped in the default language.