use akismet to block language?

Creating and modifying plugins.
grosmont
Regular

use akismet to block language?

Post by grosmont »

Is it possible to configure the spamblock to block all blog comments that contain characters from a specific language? I am getting spam from east Asian countries! :(
erAck
Regular

Re: use akismet to block language?

Post by erAck »

From my experience Akismet is completely unnecessary. Furthermore, sending all data of comments including valid ones to Akismet might be problematic privacy wise. Instead, set up a chain of the other available plugins like this, at the top of the event plugins list, in order:
  1. serendipity_event_spamblock_bee - Spamblock Bee (Honeypot, Hidden Captcha)
    • Use hidden captchas: Moderate comments
  2. serendipity_event_spamblock - Spam Protector
    • Trackbacks
      • Trackback/Pingback: ip validation: moderate
      • What to do with trackbacks/pingbacks when being auto-moderated?: moderate
    • Enable Captchas: Scrambled Captchas
    • What to do with comments when being auto-moderated?: moderate
  3. serendipity_event_spamblock_bayes - Spamblock (Bayes)
    • Spam Treatment: Custom
      and enter rating values for moderation and rejection, for example 25 and 90
    • Learn: Yes
    • Menu: Yes
    • Recycler: Yes
    • Recycler Bypass: 95
      or whatever rating value is assumed to be definitely spam
Configure other settings to your likings.

Letting a plugin use "moderate comments" means a comment not thrown away is passed on to the next plugin. Only after the last plugin (Bayes) also sets moderate, an admin gets to see the comment and needs to action on it in the Comments area. If considered spam just use the Bayes' plugin's cross button to move to the recycler, or the checkmark button to accept as valid comment.

This catches about 90% already in the Bee Honeypot, most of the rest in the Spam Protector, and only very few (at least after some Bayes training phase) end up as comments to be moderated. I get hundreds of spams every day and meanwhile I only see 2 per week end up to be moderated, if any.
grosmont
Regular

Re: use akismet to block language?

Post by grosmont »

Thanks erAck. I have most of the suggestions in place apart from the Bayes - I'll investigate that further. I don't have that many coming through and I can just delete from the moderation email but its just a nuisance!