Amazon Chooser Plugin Enhancements pt 2

Creating and modifying plugins.
gwilsonmail
Regular

Amazon Chooser Plugin Enhancements pt 2

Post by gwilsonmail »

More options
Would it be possible to implement an option to include other aspects of the Amazon Web Service (AWS), such as product description, recommendations, etc. in a blog entry?

These would be set in the plugin and generate the appropriate html the next time you inserted an amazon item using the editor.

i see this being used in the extended part of the text, so the full amazon text does not clog up the previews etc. But that is the blog owners choice.

Dynamic operation
An even better solution might be to have the Amazon Chooser insert a php function call, rather than the final html text. Using this alternate method anytime you updated the plugin's config it would automatically update the entire site. This would make the effect more dynamic within an entry.

My previous post http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10589#10589 includes a link to an existing php implementation taht could be readily modified to a plugin.

Additionally, the following site http://www.associatesshop.comhas an amazon function library that is comprehensive and simple to understand (even if making it a plugin is beyond me!).

Looking for a :idea: plugin implementator :idea: - any takers?
gw
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I can look at providing more options in the returned information. I will think about it. I haven't played with Amazon's soap stuff since they changed from AWS4 to ECS. Amazon has very specific requirements regarding caching data, though, and since the plugin writes the data to an entry caching recommendations and lists is probably a big no-no (this is part of the reason price is not included in the plugin, either...).

When I originally wrote the plugin I specifically considered a dynamic approach but discarded the idea because it slows down page requests. Based on playing with it back then, I have no interest in developing a dynamic plugin. I would prefer to modify the plugin so that it can provide a search hook which returns an asin. This would allow it to be used inside other plugins (the two new amazon plugins, for example).

Then someone could create a dynamic embedding system (extending BBCode, or something like that) without having to code the search part.

But I am a little strapped for time. I have been considering something like that for at least 6 months and I haven't found the time... :D
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Speaking of dynamic methods, you might want to ask Curtis if he would extend his plugin with something like [ASINfull:0439784549] to place more info in the post dynamically.

He talks about his new changes at http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2191

Since the info is already stored in a database it wouldn't be too hard to compare a date and update data after a giving period.