'Show Entries in sidebar' plugin - random order?

Creating and modifying plugins.
Christine
Regular

'Show Entries in sidebar' plugin - random order?

Post by Christine »

Is there a way I could set the 'Show Entries in sidebar' plugin (serendipity_plugin_showentries) to display entries in a random order, rather than by most recent?

If not, would this be an option you might consider adding in an update?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: 'Show Entries in sidebar' plugin - random order?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hey,

for the time being you could try to edit the plugins/serendipity_plugin_showentries.php file and replace this:

Code: Select all

$entries     = serendipity_fetchEntries(null, true, $limit, false, false, 'timestamp DESC', '', false, true);
with:

Code: Select all

$entries     = serendipity_fetchEntries(null, true, $limit, false, false, 'RAND()', '', false, true);
That would work on MySQL; random ordering on other database backend is a problem though, which is why it's not easily available within the plugin yet.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

I should have mentioned, that is the one thing I tried. But since it didn't work (it still was ordered by timestamp), I thought I was on the wrong track.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

It seems to have been to do with the Category Templates plugin. It was interfering with randomising even if I set the showentries plugin to a Category I hadn't applied any of the categorytemplates settings to.I had to uninstall it, remove it from the database, and when saving the configuration for categorytemplates, delete timestamp DESC.
zarzanola
Regular

Post by zarzanola »

I'm not sure if deleting the timestamp was the right thing to do, is it all working correctly now?
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Yep, it's working fine. I just meant I deleted 'timestamp DESC' on the plugin configuration page, where it was autofilling that.
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Hello! No questions to ask, I just thought I might show you what I did with this plugin and why I was asking lots of strange, specific questions!

I've got 2 installations of the 'Show Entries in sidebar' plugin - one that shows the latest entry from a particular category in the sidebar of the main part of my blog, and another you can see on, for example, this page. Here, I have it show entries from a category inside a slider in a random order. I'm happy with how it's working! Thanks for all your help.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Seems to work fine, and your blog design is really something special. Nice.