Facebook Plugin: Open Graph meta tags for index vs entries

Creating and modifying plugins.
Christine
Regular

Facebook Plugin: Open Graph meta tags for index vs entries

Post by Christine »

I'm using a mix of the Facebook Plugin and Twitter card meta tags to generate preview cards for Facebook and Twitter, and it's working well for sharing my entries.

I also tried adding Open Graph meta tags to my index.tpl, as I wanted a description, title and image specific to sharing the main blog page, as Facebook was just picking a random image when I shared my blog on there. However, these meta tags are prioritised over the ones the Facebook plugin generates, and so if I share any blog entries, I instead see the index page details.

Is there any way to have both - distinct meta tags for the index page, and separate ones for each entry?
yellowled
Regular

Re: Facebook Plugin: Open Graph meta tags for index vs entri

Post by yellowled »

Christine wrote:Is there any way to have both - distinct meta tags for the index page, and separate ones for each entry?
You'll want to take a look at the plugin Share Buttons (serendipity_event_social).

It is fairly new and there's still room for improvement (feedback always welcome). While its primary goal is to provide modern sharing buttons, it also takes care of the meta elements for Open Graph and Twitter Cards, but only on single entries, including OpenGraph images.

It might be a good idea to test that and then get back to us with feedback as to how you think this could be improved?

YL
Christine
Regular

Post by Christine »

Thanks, I'll check it out :) .
lazza
Regular

Post by lazza »

Helpful stuff, thanks guys. I'm just beginning to go about my open graph meta tags.