SubToMe for syndication plugin

Creating and modifying plugins.
yellowled
Regular

Re: SubToMe for syndication plugin

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:Can you have a look?
One last thing: Apparently you changed the frontend markup. It now looks a tad weird in 2k11, and I assume it will look just as weird in other themes.

In the old markup, the feed icon image was a seperate link to the same RSS feed. In the new markup, the image is included in the link, which results in the text-decoration (underline) for the link being extended to the gap between image and link text. Not only does this look bad, it's inconsistent with e.g. categories and tags (see dev blog sidebar).

I agree that it's semantically better because it doesn't include two links to the same link target, but it looks bad. I'm afraid this needs to be reverted …

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

It's not a big deal to revert that. It just is more logical and looked perfectly fine in the template I tested, and spared a bit of code. Will have a look at 2k11.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Ok, you're right. That does not look good.

I have a suggestion: Let us add text-decoration: none to 2k11. Then, both markups look identical, and the whole theme looks cleaner. If that is not an option, I'll change the markup.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:If that is not an option, I'll change the markup.
I don't think that's an option.

Links should always be distinguishable visually. Due to the fact that the link color is not that different from text color in 2k11, it can be hard to spot links if they're not underline, especially with small text sizes (it does work for headings, but not for other links).

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Some feedback on the current implementation:

- Now that I see it properly, I believe the icon still draws too much focus for that big button, it IMO fits the style not so perfectly. I think the format with feed icon set to "none" fits much better. How about adding a radio toggle labelled "Default Feed icon" and have two options for that "Custom image" and "Default feed icon". The latter would be the default, and would use the RSS feed icon supplied by the template, usually the "xml.gif" file that is configured in "XML image" which we shoud relabel to "Feed icon"?

- The image does not show up when using bulletproof or other templates, Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxmtkvhj9kjxv ... .25.07.png

- It is not possible to show both the Atom and the RSS feed in the sidebar. I think it would be good to have the ability to present both links, not only one of them. I like having a new "default feed" option. Maybe have a new multiselect box with a label "Additional feed formats" and for that, offer rss 0.91, rss 2.0, atom1. This could be unselected by default. Another variant would be in the "Feed format" radio button to have "RSS 2.0", "Atom 1.0", "RSS+Atom 1.0" in which case I could live with dropping RSS 0.91 from announceable formats. Only for a full selectorbox having all formats available would make sense, I'd prefer that for completion to the "RSS+Atom 1.0" radio option.

Other than that I feel like we are making improvements on this, thank you for the work!
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Note: Move the rss options of the plugin into the core (use forceLocal).