Wiktionary plug-in

Creating and modifying plugins.
Carl @ ATS
Regular

Wiktionary plug-in

Post by Carl @ ATS »

Hi,

I installed and tested the Wikipedia plug-in on my new s9y blog last week. It's a simple plug-in that works well, but rather than accessing Wikipedia, which is an encyclopedia, I'd prefer to use a similar plug-in that allows visitors to my blog (on translating) to mark a word in a blog post and look it up if they don't understand it. A dictionary search would be better than an encyclopedia one in this case as the users are more likely to (a) find the individual terms and (b) find short definitions.

Now, there's a collaborative online dictionary called Wiktionary that has been created in a similar way to Wikipedia (see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page). It's a different project, though, so I can't just adapt the Wikipedia plug-in by changing the URL it links to during its configuration. The image/icon is different, too. Even if I did adapt it, it seems I wouldn't be able to save the modifications to the Wikipedia plug-in and include it in my own blog installation as the plug-in is write-protected (to avoid any hacking :shock: ). So I'd like to ask you developers if it would be possible for you to create a (similar) Wiktionary plug-in sometime soon that can be uploaded using Spartacus and then installed in a sidebar. Any chance of that?

Regards

Carl
Carl @ ATS
Regular

Re: Wiktionary plug-in

Post by Carl @ ATS »

Hi everyone. Any views on the viability of creating this little plug-in yet?

To make the idea appeal to more bloggers using s9y, it might be an idea to allow the plug-in to be user-configured so it can be linked to any free-to-use online dictionary on the Web or to a small number of them to allow users to search for terms in the language the blog is written in (e.g English -> English) and/or in their own language if it's a different one (English -> German, English -> French, etc.).

Seems a good idea to me to include a dictionary in a blog that foreign users are also likely to read, particularly in my case as my blog's about working as a translator.

Regards

Carl
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Wiktionary plug-in

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

The current plugin would need some new parameters to let the user dictate the URL GET/POST parameters for the words. It would be a good prcacticate for new plugin developers, any takers?

Also many dictionaries have javascriptlets that you could implement into the sidebar as a HTML nugget...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/