rss feeds not working

Creating and modifying plugins.
omegaman66
Regular

rss feeds not working

Post by omegaman66 »

I noticed my rss feeds were not working. I don't know how long this has been going on other than they use to work.

If you click on any RSS feed you get a page that shows this:

Content Encoding Error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

and then a try again button.

Has anyone seen this before. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Is this possibly a problem with my server and not the installation.
omegaman66
Regular

Re: rss feeds not working

Post by omegaman66 »

turned off gzip and get this error instead.

XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Location: http://www.thejump.net/blog/index.php?/ ... ishing.rss
Line Number 2, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
^

I think it means I have a blank line in front of what should be the first line. Index.php does not have a blank line as the first line.

What should the first line be? Hope this addition helps.
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

I am guessing the first line that is blank is causing the problem. But I can not find any of my files that have the php header starting with an errant blank line!

I have searched all but I imagine it is in rss.php or index.php but both of those do not start with a blank line? HELP!!!!
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Speak a bit of german? The same issue was in the german forum. Solution there was to enable two options (in the general options):

Datenbank-Zeichensatzkonvertierung aktivieren auf Ja
Zeichensatz-Auswahl auf UTF-8

which translates roughly to:

Enable database-charset-converation: Yes
Select UTF-8 as charset
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

Thanks for the reply. I made adjustments (char set was different) and toggled the other back and forth but still the first line of my rss feed link is blank and what should be on the first line is still on the second.

It appears to be a problem elsewhere on my site as well. Because I have another program installed that generates rss feeds and it is having the exact same problem... a blank line above what should be the first line of code!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

An evil error usually is if you use an editor that inserts a UTF-8 BOM at the start of a PHP file, or adds a newline/carriage return after the last ?> php closing tag. Both those things will lead to PHP emitting output that you don't really want.

Sadly searching for this is VERY cumbersome; you would need to check every file that gets included that you possibly might have edited... The s9y files and plugins currently do not contain such a blank line themselve, so maybe if you go through all files you could possibly have edited, you might find the culprit?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

Hi Garvin

In my case the feeds are working (except the comments feed), when I take the rss.php from 1.6.1

Cheers

Dirk
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

Hi,

what I do not understand is: It is exactly the same file.

Something with caching going wrong?

Cheers

Dirk
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

I have serendipity and word press installed on my website. Both rss feeds have the same issue. There is a plugin to fix the problem in wordpress. It is suppose to remove the white space from the code. I ran the plugin yesterday and it fixed it. Now this morning it isn't working again! Rerun the plug in and it no longer fixes the problem.

This is about to drive me freaking nuts.

Shouldn't only one file generate the first line of the rss feeds? Which file is it!
omegaman66
Regular

Post by omegaman66 »

Finally fixed the problem. Some of the files in the plugin directory were causing the problem with leading carriage returns.
Lux
Regular

Post by Lux »

omegaman66 wrote:Finally fixed the problem. Some of the files in the plugin directory were causing the problem with leading carriage returns.
Which?

Dirk