Linklist 1.0

Creating and modifying plugins.
mgroeninger
Regular

Linklist 1.0

Post by mgroeninger »

Since I haven't had anyone post any major problems about the linklist beta I went ahead and updated CVS to the 1.0 version of Linklist.

It should be available through the anonymous cvs in the next 24 hours.

If you are installing from an old version you must uninstall the event_wrapper sidebar plugin and install the linklist sidebar plugin.

New features:

No longer uses the event_wrapper sidebar plugin.

Offers the user the ability to input links manually in xml, or use the event_linklist backend.

Displays without error when using permalinks and url rewriting.

Can use images (plus/minus) to ease folder display in categorical mode.

Can open links in a new window.

ANd tons of others...

Unfortunately, it is not stackable (I still haven't thought of a good way to deal with this. Message me if you have some thoughts).

Let me know if you have any problems.

Matt
ckeck
Regular

Post by ckeck »

Well I came here to post about where I could find a plug-in such as this...and here it is...

Thanks for making this, its really neat.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I updated the linklist plugin in CVS, which means it should be available through spartucus and anonymous download in the next few hours.

This update allows the user to choose a full CSS method to present links.
This will output a css based tree which uses a simple javascript to toggle the display.

On simple installations the display should be identical to when the dtree solution is used. It will not support the following functions that dtree supports:
1)Set cookie to remember condition.
2)Open All, Close all
3)Display link text in status bar.

It does support lines and icons, spiders and bots will enumerate links since they do not rely on javascript to toggle display and the css and javascript is roughly 2k total. The size thing is not a huge savings, however, since all of the data to control format is contained in your main page. (In fact, large collections of links will be less efficient, size wise.)

Additionally, the plugin now allows html tags in category and link titles. This should have a cautionary note with it:
It is entirely possible for a malicious author to generate bad links and phising attacks using the plugin. If you run a multiuser blog where you do not trust your authors you should be aware of what links your authors are creating.

When you install the update you should see no difference at all on your main page. If you see boxes around the images in the tree, or you have an unformatted tree, try refreshing you browser (css may be) cached. If the problem persists, you may need to enter the configuration and re-save all the settings.

To enable the new display option you can set 'Use "dtree" styling' to no.

If anyone has any problems just post on the forums or drop me a note.

Matt

is it possible

Post by Guest »

to have two linklist's on my blog.

I have set up one and tried to set up another and it just says 'already installed.'

can you assist me in having two on my page.

thanks in advance
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

At this time I am unable to rework the plugin to enable the javascript to differentiate between two displayed lists.

It would require a unique identifier to be added to each of the css classes and the css would then have to be generated dynamically... I am extremely leery of generating css dynamically as it will slow down rendering and add significant code to the plugin.

If anyone has another suggestion on how to accomplish it I am open to it.

Matt
indygreen
Regular

how to install?

Post by indygreen »

how would i install this plugin? i went to "Configure Plugins" in the Administration Suite and spotted the "Click here to install a new event plugin" button but the plugin is not available.

is there a tutorial on the serendipity site for installing plugins? i looked but couldn't find one.

thanks for your help.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

You can either install the spartacus event plugin and use it to manage all your plugins, or use a cvs client to download the plugin development tree.

Some authors build gzip'ed releases of plugins which can download and install, but that is entirely up to the author. I used to do this but have moved away from it towards recommending users install spartacus.

Spartacus, once installed, will connect to the repository server and grab a list of plugins that are available... linklist will be one of them.

More information on spartacus here:
http://www.s9y.org/index.php?node=45#A7
indygreen
Regular

Post by indygreen »

excellent! thanks for your help!
indygreen
Regular

Post by indygreen »

thanks, again, for your help. i was able to get the plugin installed but can't figure out how to use it to add links to my blog. does it add functionality to the administration suite?

Thanks.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

You can add links in two ways.

1) Enter xml directly.
You will see a textbox with links and directories that you can edit.

2) Use admin panel (set "Enter XML directly" to no)
The plugin will add a link to the "Entries" menu called "Manage Links"
indygreen
Regular

Post by indygreen »

mgroeninger wrote:You can add links in two ways.

1) Enter xml directly.
You will see a textbox with links and directories that you can edit.

2) Use admin panel (set "Enter XML directly" to no)
The plugin will add a link to the "Entries" menu called "Manage Links"
is the admin panel part of the Serendipity Administration Suite? I looked there but was unable to find anything on "Enter XML directly".

sorry for the confusion......i'm pretty new to Serendipity and it's taking a little while getting used to how everthing works.

thanks!
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Sorry, I am confusing you more, it seems...

"Enter XML directly" is set under the plugin configuration itself, in the Serendipity Administration Suite. You can click on "Configure Plugins", then click on the linklist sidebar plugin from the list of plugins. (Does that make sense?)

There you should see a list of configuration options for the linklist sidebar.
The second or third one will be "Enter XML directly". If it is set to yes then you can enter links in an xml format directly below that setting.

If "Enter XML directly" is set to no it will enable a link on the menu to the left, under "Entries", which should be called "Manage links" or something like that...

Does that make sense?
indygreen
Regular

Post by indygreen »

hmmmmm......definitely makes sense, now, unfortunately, the plugin will not let me click on it to open it up. it seems to be static and not a "hyperlink"

thanks, again, for all your help. it's really appreciated.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

There are two plugins install as part of linklist.

The linklist_event plugin is static and has no configuration, while the sidebar plugin has a large number of configuration options.

If you only have one linklist plugin installed you will need to install the other.

If you install the sidebar plugin first, both plugin will be installed.

It sounds like you only have the event plugin installed. You should be able to use spartacus to install the sidebar plugin and then it should all make sense...

Sorry about that.
indygreen
Regular

Post by indygreen »

that is correct. i will install the sidebar plugin.

thanks, again.