Plugin path and hostname on some plugins

Creating and modifying plugins.
yellowled
Regular

Plugin path and hostname on some plugins

Post by yellowled »

I just got a new laptop, so I had to setup my dev blog from scratch. I noticed some weird behaviour on some plugins related to either the plugin path or the hostname. I'm not sure if this is potentially dangerous, due to sloppy coding or just related to my individual setup on localhost, however:

* I use dyndns, so I need multiple hostnames to be able to access the blog via localhost as well.
* Since I have a local cvs snapshot, I symlink it to the plugins directory.

So these are the plugins I was talking about:

1. serendipity_plugin_freetag: Uses an absolute hostname for the tag link. In my case, this means the tag links always point to the dyndns hostname. I have set a relative path in the plugin config, which works just fine. Unless there's something I don't see, I think this should be the default. :)

2. serendipity_event_freetag: see 1., it's exactly the same behaviour.

3. serendipity_event_twitter: Doesn't like the fact that the plugin dir is a symlink in my case. It seems to try and resolve the symlink, which doesn't work and breaks the path to at least the tweet-this-button images. Setting the correct plugin path solves it.

I admit that the symlink stuff is something probably only developers use, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :)

YL
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Plugin path and hostname on some plugins

Post by garvinhicking »

Hm, do you use the automatic HTTP hostname detection?

For the freetag plugin, which config setting exactly are you referring to? (plugin item config name)

I use symlinks as well and didn't see any of those problems, also I'm not sure what your item 3) is about? More info? :)

Regards,Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Re: Plugin path and hostname on some plugins

Post by yellowled »

garvinhicking wrote:Hm, do you use the automatic HTTP hostname detection?
Yep.
garvinhicking wrote:For the freetag plugin, which config setting exactly are you referring to? (plugin item config name)
I think it's called 'taglink' in both plugins.
garvinhicking wrote:I use symlinks as well and didn't see any of those problems, also I'm not sure what your item 3) is about? More info? :)
The initial value for the plugin's relative path was something like

/serendipity/home/matthias/download/cms/s9y/cvs/additional_plugins/serendipity_plugin_twitter/

instead of

/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_plugin_twitter/

as if apache couldn't resolve the symlink properly.

Yes, I have a history of messing up symlinks – I did 'ln -s /path/to/cvs/' in /serendipity/plugins/, that should work, right?

YL