are there any xmlrpc experts out there?

Creating and modifying plugins.
akremedy
Regular

are there any xmlrpc experts out there?

Post by akremedy »

I've been playing around a bit with the S9Y XMLRPC plugin and various iPhone blogger apps (namely BlogWriter and BlogPress - both the full paid versions).

BlogWriter provides for a generic XMLRPC connection/integration. It works ok, but only submitting entries as drafts with comments turned off. The bigger issue is that the categories list never populates - though I can tell by the number of blank category options that it knows I have 13 categories + 1 not-categorized.

BlogPress attempts to fetch the categories list and simply crashes...consistently. With BlogPress, I'm able to try a number of different blog API's which support XMLRPC - including WordPress, MovableType, and Drupal. MovableType fails to post the content of the blog. All three will create the blog as a draft only and with comments disabled.

A representative of BlogPress (the author perhaps?) responded to a note regarding interest in supporting S9Y in a next/future release. This is great, but given the odd behavior around categories that I'm experiencing with both products, it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the S9Y XMLRPC plugin.

Is anybody using the plugin successfully? Is anybody using a mobile solution (iPhone or otherwise) successfully?

Thanks,
Adam
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: are there any xmlrpc experts out there?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

S9y best supports the Blogger/MT-API. Actually the s9y xmlrpc plugin has detailed debugging information, which can be enabled through the plugin and logs to a file, that should give a clue about parameter calls etc.

Last time I've tried w.bloggar and blogjet, they both worked okay... with showing categories andn publishing entries...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
akremedy
Regular

Re: are there any xmlrpc experts out there?

Post by akremedy »

Thanks Garvin - I wish there was a convenient way to mess around with this in my test environment, oh well.

I'll enable the debugging and see what I can see from it. I have no control over the client side, but can tweak the plugin as a one-off if I can figure out what needs to be done.

It's good to know that you were able to make it work, including the categories stuff - that tells me that there is something especially finicky about the way that the iPhone blogger apps are working.

Thanks!
Adam