$to = "xxxxx@xxxxxxx.net";
$name = "Webuser";
$email = stripslashes($email);
$subject = "Subscribe";
$text = "Subscribe";
mail($to,$subject,$body,$headers,"-f".$email);
header("location:index.php");
?>
This emails to a mailing list that I setup in my sites control panel which is an automated subscription system and it maintains all the email addresses etc. THen when I post an entry s9y notifies the email address of the mailing list and it is sent to all my subscribers.
--Paul Norwood

zoran
Regular

Re: new post subscription

Post by zoran »

brandstof wrote:I also am looking for a simple plugin to let my readers subscribe to let them know there's a new post. Indeed; not the complete post but just the real fact that there is news.
I might be missing a point here, but can't your readers use the feeds? That's more or less the standard blog subscription method.
Untamed
Regular

Post by Untamed »

I guess I'm having trouble understanding the entire RSS process. No matter what I read, I still am not catching a clue.

When ever I click on the RSS button, all I get is a page of code. What do I do with this information? How is this supposed to help me receive my "subscription" to that blog?
Blessings,
Lissa
PENorwood
Regular

Post by PENorwood »

I might be missing a point here, but can't your readers use the feeds? That's more or less the standard blog subscription method.
I set up the subscription form simply because not everyone knows how to use RSS feeds. I use them all the time, and you use them, because we are more tech saavy. Not everyon is.
--Paul Norwood

Untamed
Regular

Post by Untamed »

Paul, where do you upload your page that you created?

(I use FTP for getting files onto my server and not cPanel)

Thanks.
Blessings,
Lissa
PENorwood
Regular

Post by PENorwood »

Hi,

I just uploaded the page process.php into the root serendiity folder.
--Paul Norwood

MySchizoBuddy
Regular

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

have u guys looked at Feedblitz
it sounds like what u want.
U can select whether u want the whole post or just the titles.
It gives you the complete template of how your email will look like, giving you lot of control.

I tested it with S9Y and it works like a charm
It even links back to feedburner so u can know who and how many are reading your emails

from there FAQ's

Can I limit the text in emails? I want readers to click through to my site.

Yes. Once you have set up your syndication, click through to your syndication management page and select the edit icon for the feed you want to change.

Now you can choose the maximum number characters you want to include from your post and the followup call to action. When the mail is generated, posts longer than the length you specify are truncated back to the nearest whole word, an ellipsis ("...") added, and then your custom call to action written in underneath, linking back to the original post.

If you want headlines only, set the character count to zero and make the call to action field blank.

You can restore full posts by deleting the value in the maximum character count field.
Last edited by MySchizoBuddy on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
zoran
Regular

Post by zoran »

Untamed wrote:I guess I'm having trouble understanding the entire RSS process. No matter what I read, I still am not catching a clue.
The page of code you receive is actually the feed. It is not meant for human beings to interpret, but for software.

You can compare it with HTML. HTML is used by software (usually your browser) to show you what a page looks like. But the underlying code is HTML (i.e. code). Feeds works the same way, only your client is not a regular browser, but a feedreader/rssclient/newsreader/therearesomanynames!

Basically what you do is you take the feed URL and open it in (or copy paste it into) your feedreader. There are online readers, such as http://bloglines.com/ or offline, such as http://www.rssowl.org/. Firefox has builtin support (called live bookmarks). Internet Explorer 7 also has builtin support.

Feeds are the way to go for content subscriptions.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rss for more information.

Good luck and have fun reading feeds!
MySchizoBuddy
Regular

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

zoran wrote:Internet Explorer 7 also has builtin support.
yeah we have to wait another 5 years before everyone has IE7
zoran
Regular

Post by zoran »

Feedblitz sounds great for e-mail subscriptions!

Another 5 years until everybody has IE7? Lets hope alternative browsers and platforms get a bigger share before that time. :)
Untamed
Regular

Post by Untamed »

That looks like a terrific option for someone who has only themselves as a user on their blog. I've got a site where we have MANY users and there are people wanting to subscribe to only one person's blog of many.

I've seen others sites who allow such subscribing and am in need of this option in order to "keep up". I don't want to lose my blog users to some of the larger ones just when we're gaining some momentum.

Thanks for ANY help! (And thanks for that Wikipedia article... I'd actually read that one already, but I sure appreciate your kindness!)

Thanks again...
Blessings,
Lissa
brandstof

Post by brandstof »

I still think that there are a lot of people who would really appreciate a standard plugin for this email-subscription. If this plugin exists you can see who many people use it. And it may be so that RSS is better but what could be the problem of developing this requisted plugin?
It would just be another reason of using serendipity!
MySchizoBuddy
Regular

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

why ain't anyone trying feedblitz
:S
it does what u want.
HELLOOOOOOOO