static start page & contact form

Creating and modifying plugins.
Don Chambers
Regular

static start page & contact form

Post by Don Chambers »

Using the static pages plugin 3.78, s9y 1.4.1., contact form v1.1.1. Static page listed before contact form in event queue. Set a static page as frontpage. After contact form is submitted, static start page displays followed by contact form introductory text and confirmation message.

Behavior does not happen if contact form moved above static page plugin in event queue, but that also completely disables static start page.

Ideas?
=Don=
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: static start page & contact form

Post by Don Chambers »

Garvin? Judebert? Anyone? Surely the static front page should not be displaying before the contact form confirmation.....
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Uh... nobody here but us chickens. Got a URL where we can see the problem? Never mind, I'll try it out on my sandbox and let you know what I find.

It sounds like submitting the contact form redirects you to the front page, so the static page is displayed. That makes perfect sense to me; once you've contacted us, you should see the front page with a "thanks" message. If that's the case, perhaps an option for a "landing page" is a good idea.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

This is a general problem that often comes to terms...some people do want the static frontpage to appear, some don't. The whole logic is a bit hard to read into, and changing it can easily influence a lot of other things that have been fixed in the past. Sadly I can't offer you a solution without taking a larger chunk of time to inspect this.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Hey, Don... remember when I was having trouble getting static pages to work at all? How we tried making a new static page that was marked as the front page from the start, but that didn't work either? Yeah, it's because the Contact Form plugin was before the static page plugin.

Hang around on this forum long enough, and every problem will be explained. 8)

I've verified your problem, anyway. I'm checking out what I can do about it.
Judebert
---
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Well, that was easier than expected.

The contact form plugin was stomping on the [subpage] item. As a result, the static page plugin wouldn't realize it was supposed to do anything unless it came before the contact form plugin. I made the contact form put back the subpage if it wasn't actually selected.

The new contact form plugin, version 1.12, should be available in SPARTACUS within 24 hours. If it's before the static page plugin, its landing page will not include the static front page. If it's after the static page plugin, the static front page will be displayed before the "Text after message has been sent". The static front page works regardless of contact form plugin placement.

That should make everyone happy, yes?
Judebert
---
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

D'Oh. That patch looks really easier than suspected. I wasn't aware that the plugin wouldn't reset its subpage item. Sorry for that one!

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Thanks Judebert & Garvin! Well, I should really thank just Judebert since Garvin thought it was going to be this big awful mess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll check it out a bit later and report back, but it sounds as if Judebert has already tested it pretty thoroughly. Also sounds like he solved another issue being caused by the contact form in the process...

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?!!! :mrgreen:
=Don=
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I finally had the opportunity to test Judebert's revision - it works fine. For the record, the contact form plugin must be listed before the static page plugin in the event queue.
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Don Chambers wrote:I finally had the opportunity to test Judebert's revision - it works fine. For the record, the contact form plugin must be listed before the static page plugin in the event queue.
Must?

When I tested, everything still worked regardless of which plugin was first. There is a difference in output, though: if the static page plugin is first, you get both the static front page data and the contact form's "thanks" text. If the contact form plugin is first, you get only the contact form's "thanks" text.

Garvin mentioned some people want it each way. It worked like that when I tested it; did you get different results?
Judebert
---
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I received the same result as you Judebert.... my post just wasn't clear enough. My objective was to NOT see the static start page following form submission, therefore the contact form plugin has to come first. 8)
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Whew! That's a relief!

Thanks for testing this out, Don.
Judebert
---
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

judebert wrote:Whew! That's a relief!

Thanks for testing this out, Don.
Suggest.... code.... ask for help..... re-code... test again... bitch a bit .... re-code... ask for more help.... problem solved. Story of my life!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
=Don=